25 : with you, by my side

— A y e z a h ' s  P O V  𖤐 :

Take a deep breath. Inhale, exhale.

I gasped for air, tears streamed down my cheeks uncontrollably.

The scorching flames surrounding Rahil seemed to suffocate me, their orange glow casting an eerie light and intensifying the heat, making it difficult to draw a steady breath.

"Calm down, Ayezah," I whispered to myself, my voice trembling with desperation.

I cried out louder, squeezing my eyes shut, my desperation growing, yearning to free my hands from the tight ropes that bound them behind my back.

My earlier wriggling and struggling had slightly loosened the ropes, allowing me to slip my palm against the gritty floor.

As I rose to my feet and attempted to approach Rahil, the flames triggered something within me, causing my breathing to become heavy and rapid. My chest ached intensely, and my vision began to blur.

"No, Ayezah! Get out of here! Go away! Stay away from the fire." Rahil's urgent yelling broke through the chaos, bringing me back to the present. My vision cleared, revealing his face etched with concern amidst the blazing fire.

"Noo, I'm not going anywhere without you."
I yelled back, the intense heat of the fire making my face all sweaty and sticky.

My head spun, throbbing with pain.

Get a grip. Get a grip.

"No! Just listen—" he started again, squirming in his chair, but I cut him off.

"There's absolutely no way I'm leaving you here to die." I shout, gasping for air, my breathing heavy.

My blurry eyes scanned the room, and I spotted a few tattered blankets on the bed.

I immediately rushed over to the bed. Using the sharp edge of the old metal frame of the bed, I freed my trembling hands from the loose rope. The metal bit into my skin, but I didn't let the pain distract me. I tightly grasped the tattered blankets, clutching them to my chest.

Returning to Rahil, I approached him, the intense heat of the fire causing my skin to crawl.

I squeezed my eyes shut, tears streaming down my face.

"No, Ayezah, don't let your demons win now! You have to save Rahil at any cost." I whispered to myself, mustering up the courage to take another step forward. My whole body trembled, my chin wobbling with fear.

"Just go away!" Rahil kept yelling, but I completely ignored his pleas.

There were two blankets in total. Despite their worn-out appearance, they still had enough thickness to offer some hope against the raging fire.

Without wasting a second, I swiftly placed one of the blankets onto the flames, the crackling fire momentarily subdued in that small area.

As the fire crackled beneath the blanket, I took a step back, tears streaming down my face, and let out a heavy breath, my chest rising and falling with each shaky breath.