The comprehensible history of Servants (I).

Disclaimer: This is the collection of events before the Time Rift. If certain things do not make sense, seemingly never happened, or were not recorded, that is solely due to the timelines shifting unless stated otherwise. 

I do not and never claim Servants are saints; we are often forced to do unthinkable things. We are the ones getting our hands dirty for creatures who show no empathy or have no sense of morals. Even those with a strong sense of justice or humanity will soon find being forced to abandon everything you stood for, even if occasionally, defeats the entire purpose. And so, it is inevitable that you will lose your humanity over time. 

Let us begin with world war II, which was when Servant activity truly picked up (in the case of the Tall One's servants, that is.) World war II was a crucial time for Him to carry forward His plans without disturbance. 1939 marked the creation of The Collective. While The Collective served primarily to keep other Revenants in check, they also served as an intelligence system of sorts. Many Revenants joined the rank of Nazis in order to blend in and have positions of power, so that they could influence humans and human history directly. By the 1940s, The Event took place. There are none alive to tell the tale, but there are accounts left behind in our Archives. Unfortunately I cannot go into more detail regarding The Event and what it exactly was. Although it is rumored that The Event caused the Time Rift to open in the future. This is of course, not confirmed. Regarding why Revenants were joining the ranks of Nazis, the said organization had certain goals which aligned with the Collectives'. That isn't what appeared on the surface, such as the mass homicides, but the experiments done behind the scenes. Details are purely confidential even now, and no records were kept of these experiments. 

Adolf Hitler, towards the end of World War II, was influenced by The Collective. This ultimately led to his demise, driven mad by the atrocities he had committed and seen from creatures like Them. This was all according to plan. In order to ensure nothing would see the light of day, all witnesses of The Event and the experiments were exterminated. Including the monster himself. Nazism itself was a pretense which to hide behind, not a belief system The Collective held. Although one cannot say that they did not enjoy it. This was the first recorded instance of direct Servant involvement not only in human history, but human government and politics. This would soon lead to the deeply rooted influence they hold in society today. 

During the 1960s, the era of new age spiritualism, was when the first cults and worshippers of the Tall One appeared. They could be considered Servants in their own right; a form of Agent who has not been infected. The 1960s was the peak of rejecting christianity and mainstream religion; and of course, the perfect time for the Tall One to spread His influence. In search of alternative spirituality, many would stumble upon eldritch worship, and therefore, The Tall One. The works of H.P Lovecraft and Satanism became especially popular in this era, further drawing people towards the worship of Fears. The rather well known cult, The Order, was established around this time, in the late 60s. A man known for his philosophies and also pursuit in quantum theory established The Order. It was founded on the basis that multidimensional creatures such as the Tall One had the ability to transcend humans to the Fourth World or "Fourth Dimension" where They supposedly dwelled. The bad rep alternative spiritual beliefs got, was mainly due to The Order. They were not merciful when it came to "proving" their devotion. Hence commenced The Harvest; sacrifical "lambs" towards appeasing the Tall One, so that they could transcend to the Fourth world. Their status as Servants is much debated even now, but since their devotion stretched so far, they were one of the first willing candidates to do His dirty work. And so began sowing the seeds for complete control. 

From this era, we move onto the 1970s and 80s, which was the golden age for Agents. The Order had sowed the seeds and set the foundation, and now anyone could willingly serve the Tall One. Agents were the first Servants, besides cultists, who had complete free will and were not infected by Ichor. Their obedience was assured to the Tall One, and so was their loyalty. Soon the cults expanded, and with it, so did Agents. Government officials and people of authority were soon joining said cults, in search of more power. Over time His influence spread over governments and societies, until He was sure no one would interfere with His Servants' work. That is how Servants operate; Agents in higher positions cover up for field agents. I suppose that answers the question of "why don't Servants get caught?" We most certainly do get caught, it is simply covered up or swept under the rug. 

That concludes, for the most part, the history of Servants in the 1900s. There is more, and certainly details I wasn't able to cover due to a time crunch and/or inability to share certain information. Consider this an introduction of sorts for more to come.