26: a grain of truth

Original Chapters: 90~94
26: a grain of truth
Alt. Title: every single life

.

.

The only people doing nothing but watching were Ahn Eun-Byeol and Han Sooyoung.

Eun-Byeol because he never had any extra compassion in his heart for people he didn't know.

Han Sooyoung because just like Eun-Byeol, she didn't have any compassion for people not belonging in her world.

The two of them shared a glance and frowned at each other for no reason before looking away.

Meanwhile, Ahn Binna, standing beside her brother-in-law, saw a girl around her age approaching them.

One look and Binna almost struck her with the scythe. Her instincts screamed at her that danger was right in front of her yet all she could see was a little girl who she could kill with a flick of a wrist.

What the hell?

.

.

"Just wait and see," Han Sooyoung grumbled with arms crossed. "They'll be back for more soon." That afternoon, three out of five from their group decided to distribute food to the people. It pricked Sooyoung how those three acted kind towards people who would most likely betray them sometime in the future.

What was the point of kindness in this apocalyptic setting?

It would only bring one's ruin.

Ahn Binna took a bite of the meat on a stick, still steaming hot. She glanced at Sooyoung briefly before tearing her gaze away. She wanted to ask, Have you ever reached a point in your life where you have nothing to eat? Binna recalled some unpleasant memories earlier that day.

Her little family had nothing but that cursed house. Most of the money left in her brother's name was spent to keep it running so that they had somewhere to live. The remaining money, however little it was, became their daily expenses. Sometimes, Binna and her brother would have nothing to eat for three days straight.

They might have had a roof above their head but Binna experienced countless sleepless nights due to hunger. It was when she had to be rushed to the nearest hospital that her brother decided to take on some... illegal jobs for a while. He only stopped because Binna asked him to.

That was why, Eun-Byeol cherished his reputation. If his reputation was ruined at his job, then they would have to go back to the days when they had nothing to eat.

That was why Eun-Byeol was so money-conscious. And why Binna would do her best not to be a burden.

But all those worries are gone now, Binna thought to herself as she took another bite of the dinner her brother-in-law cooked. After all, ever since the world became apocalyptic, its economy went down the drain. Whatever you want, you can get. Strength was all that mattered at present time.

And both her and her brother stood at the top of the pyramid.

An indescribable emotion flickered in her eyes. Speaking of brother, isn't it about time he remembers some things?

Ahn Binna.

No one truly knew who she was, not even her own brother. Where and when she learned how to wield a scythe, no one was aware. How she got that strong the second the world fell into an apocalypse, no one knew how. Only she herself knew the reasons behind her peculiarities.

Her identity was once hinted at by the Parasite Queen Antinus. Binna expected her brother to question her about it but from the look of things, Eun-Byeol had no plans whatsoever of digging the truth.