Chapter 1

Cato basically threw me out of the room as soon as I arrived, saying he was preparing for the games.

As I enter the building, I saw my Father and Step mom nearing the doors where Cato was at. I could hear their voices as they spoke. Cato sounded confident just as my father did in his return. I opened the large doors making the rusted hinges creak lightly. The group turn to me. My brother's smile faded and his eyes narrowed into a glare.

"Get out."

I looked at him shocked. I could feel the pit in my stomach start to form at his words, but I couldn't say I was surprised.

"Cato, I am your sister, I still get to say goodbye."

He shook his head.

"I told you before, You are a distraction. I don't want you here. I don't want you there. I need to be prepared for the games and that means no attachments. You told me that remember."

I opened my mouth to say something but I honestly had no words. What was I going to say. Everyone knew that was my moto going into the games. I looked at my brother, hardening my gaze, hoping the heartbreak wasn't showing on my face. All I got in response was him shouting somethings at me but the ringing in my ears were too loud to actually hear anything. Then he was glaring and pointing at the door knowing I was no longer listening to a word he was saying. I didn't say anything as I walked out but I could feel the burning behind my eyes.

That felt like a while ago when in reality it was maybe 30 minutes prior. When I showed up to the trains, I only received a slap from my brother for not listening. I stood their dumbstruck as I watched the train go away. I stood there as it started to rain. I watched as another train pulled up and came to a stop. I looked up as the door opened and Paul walked out and just wrapped me in a hug.

"He..."

"I heard, Ebinora called. Now, come on you are going to catch a cold."

I nod my head and let him lead me into the train. Jo greeted me with a towel and a hug.

"The kids just went to bed. Two young kids. Both 15. They are not gonna make it past the bloodbath."

I tense at the words.

"They wont survive past my brother..."

I pull away from Jo. Her eyes widen when she met mine.

"...he is a monster Jo. He isn't my brother. That thing we just sent into the games...he...he...

Tears were coming down my face steadily now. I felt arms wrap around me from behind. I felt the warmth seep through my soaked clothed. I felt myself sway as Paul rocked us back and forth. The tears slowed but they didn't stop. I was getting mad about crying. I hated crying but sometimes you just have to let them out. Paul looked down at me but I didn't look up. He kept his voice calm as he addressed me knowing I was on edge.

"Why don't we see what the tributes look like this year? Yeah?"

I silent nod and the two lead me into the tv room. Their train was set up much like ours from two. Over the top cristal chanileers. Tables. Chairs. Everything was worth more then what we own put together. We clicked on the TV and Ceaser popped on the screen. Behind him was a scene from my game. A boy beating another boy with a brick. Then it switched to another games, were a girl is being beaten with a rock and relief washed through another boy as he is crowned victor.

"Now this is one of my favorite moments, the moment when a tribute is crowned victor. Just amazing. Who this will be this year will be very interesting. Now that you have seen them, what do you think of this crop of recruits? Is there any surprises we should expect for this year?"