Chapter 2

The tunnels were dark. So dark. I could still hear the muts above me.

"Come on Kit, we need to go back up."

I look at my district partner.

"They are still out there, they will kill us."

"You already killed me Kit."

I turned to Borris confused. The scene shifted and I am on the ground. I follow my hand up to see the sword impailing him. Blood dribbles out of his mouth.

"No....Borris, I am sorry. I didn't mean it. Borris wake up! Please wake up!"

His body fell into mine and I sat there shaking his body trying to get him to wake up. So we could joke about the incident.

"Borris!"

"Kittera! Come on Wake up!"

I sit up with a jolt. I look around finding myself in the capital bedroom of the train.

"No. No... No..."

"It was just a dream. You are safe. It is ok."

I turn to Paul who is looking at me with worried eyes. He reaches forward brushing away my tears that are clear on my face.

"It wasn't a dream. It is never just a dream."

He looked down, knowing exactly what I saw. You see, even when you win the games, you never actually leave the games. You are constantly in them. You never escape. They haunt you for the rest of your lives. You wake up screaming as you get replays of the people you kill. The moments you were so scared that you thought, this is my moment, I am going to die. I will never get to see my family again. That is what happens in the games, you go in as one person come out as another. Paul gets them too. Not nearly as bad, not to the same extent but he gets them. Less as the years go. Mine have grown considerably less but the last moment between Borris and I...it seems to never go away. I have grown accustom to it.

"Come on, why don't we get some breakfast. The tributes are going to be currious about you."

I looked at Paul.

"I didn't scare them did I?"

He gives me a ghost of a smile which answers my question. I gues my nightmare shifted to being auditable. I pinch the bridge of my nose and move to get out of bed. I walk to the bathroom.

"I will get some of Joanna's clothes for you to use."

I heard the door as it slid open and close as Paul went out to Jo's room. I looked in the mirror. My long locks were tangled. They fell bellow my butt at this point. Since my games, I haven't cut them once. I usually kept it in braids of some sort. Never fully down. I sigh through my nose and get to work on putting my hair in two dutch braids. I work my fingers through the thick locks.

"You know you should keep it down for once, might calm the kids a bit."

I turn to Paul, brow raised.

"Putting my hair up makes me scary?"

Paul smiles and looks down putting his hands on his hips before looking up at me.

"No, but it does make your eyes stand out more and they are usually pretty cold, that is just how they are. It isn't a bad thing, I find them entrancing but the kids are already scared of everything that moves."

I sigh and walk out seeing the plain black cargo pants and blouse he picked. I start to undress making Paul go red. I smile up at him.

"It is nothing you haven't seen."