Chapter 10

"I am not even a mentor this year do I really need to go down?"

Paul looked over at me. We both wear the mentor training gear. All white with black lining our sleeves and sides of our pants. The number distract we are from clear as day on our right shoulder. Mine has a bold 0 as I am not with my particular district this year. Today I put my hair in a messy bun on the top of my head.

"You are here. You are mentoring, everyone that is why you have a 0 on your sleeve. Only those that know you and your history will know you are from 2. Listen Kit, this is the one time we are aloud to work directly with our tributes, help out, you know your shit."

The doors open and the rest of the mentors and tributes are there. I sigh and follow the giant out of the glass case. Jo is already smirking with Finn by her side. I smile at the two. I meet my brother's eyes and I gave him a settle shake of my head telling him to not draw attention to our relation. Understanding he gives me a firm nod. Like every year the main trainer advisor steps forward wearing the capital uniform.

"Today is your final day. Today we let those that have won in the past teach you a few things about the games. Listen to them as they all have been through what you will experience tomorrow. Those that don't know the victors are dressed in white and will be at one of the stations where they are experts in. For example, Finnick Odair will be in spears and tridonts, Joannah Mason will be in the Axe and Hatches while Paul Write will be in traps and snares. Each Victor was recognize for their specialty listen and learn because this advice may determine life and death."

Paul reaches down and gives my hand a firm squeeze.

"So you know they signed you up for knives this year, if you want to..."

I shake my head.

"No...no I will be fine. You are much better at traps then throwing a knife I will...I just wont demonstrate. I will see you later."

He nods and heads to his station where already a few tributs stand waiting. I turn and go to the fake dummy cutouts and movable tray of throwing knives. I find three tributes standing there. Clove, Wave and the boy from 5. I nod to the three as I approach the stand. Clove smiles at me which I nod to her. I take in a deep breath.

"For those that don't know me, my name is Kittera Hadley, victor of the 66th Hunger Games. During my games I specialized in throwing knives and blade use..."

Clove snorted then leaned in closer to the nervous teens.

"Don't let her fool you, she won her games with a shovel and traps and broken arrow heads as she couldn't get knives until half way through her games."

I clear my throat at the girl and gave her a glare.

"As I was saying, you all chose this station as this is either your specialty or you have something you want to work on. Know that knives are helpful and good to know how to use but anything can be a weapon if you know how to use it right. You run out of knives during a throw down a rock to the temple can kill someone just as easily. Now..."

I picked up a few knives handing two to each kid.

"...Throw."

Clove confidently walked up to the line and threw. The silver blade whistled through the air and into the head of the furthest dummy. I smiled.

"Good, but watch your wrist, next."

Wave went next doing a quick manuver I have never seen before and throwing. Her throw was unique, self taught. I rose a brow as the knife landed in the heart of the closest dummy.

"Ok, let's see it 5."

The boy timidely came forward, set his feet and flicked the blade sending it into the closes dummy but in the left arm. I took in a breath then looked at the two newbies.