Chapter 6

The first few days of training went smoothly. I was shocked to see where the competition was set. The girl from 5, Foxface was smart, like wickedly smart, Thresh from 11 was strong and observant. 12 was also strong. Katniss was working on the weak points and doing well in the exercises offered. She wasn't great with making alliances but she was quiet kept to herself. As expected 1 and 2 was excelling past the other contestants earning them lots of sponsors. I kept finding myself talking to sponsors, getting my brother lots of help but I was also talking to them about Katniss and Peeta giving them plenty of sponsors as well. Outside the room I was cold and focus, in the room I was a wreck feeling guilty for not helping the 12 year old girl that was entering the games. Currently I was seated on the roof looking out at the capital, notebook in hand. It was pretty up here, quiet. It allowed me to think. The door rang and I heard foot falls before a yelp came from a teenage boy.

"I am so sorry, I didn't..."

I turn with a smile at the flustered baker.

"It is ok Peeta, why don't you take a seat, I promise I don't bite."

The boy furrowed his brows.

"How do you know my name?"

I smile and look forward and a rush of wind comes through rustling my flyaways from my french braid.

"You are a tribute, It is my job to know the tributes, plus Haymitch talks highly of you and your partner."

The baker took a seat next to me, still tense

"What has he said?"

I smile thinking about the drunk.

"Just that you are hard working, strong willed. You are a good kid."

Peeta scuffed smiling a bit.

"So what are you doing up here?"

"It is a good spot to clear your head. I always come up here close to the interviews, too many...memories."

The boy looked at me taken back.

"Wait you are a victor? Mentor?"

I nod.

"Winner of the 66th Hunger Games."

Peeta looked at me and then back over the city. He didn't say anything about my name. If I had a guess he didn't know my name. Usually in the lower districts the education systems where not the highest.

"What is the arena like?"

I sigh looking at the sun that was slowly lowering.

"Hell. At least mine was. Ruin city, abandon houses. Rubble and plenty of buildings to hide in. Not all Arenas are as open, as bad as that one, my year was just an exceptionally rough year. Two before that the 64th was jungle all jungle, with mutts. Many of the tributes were dead due to the mutts rather then each others."

"How do you know so much about the 64th?"

I smile sadly over at the baker.

"My significant other won the 64th, Paul Write."

Peeta shook his head.

"I don't know much about the past victors. 12 talks about them, but we are so scared of the games that we all never pay attention."

I chuckle.

"I think that is how all the districts are."

The boy scuffed and looked at me, clear amusement behind his eyes.

"Not for 1 and 2, this is sport."

I smile amused.

"What is to say they are not scared too? They train their lives away, to give them better chance of survival. Isn't that out of fear."