Chapter 12

I didn't go back right away. I actually didn't go back at all. I did take my hair down so I could run my fingers through the long strans. I feel sick.

"Kittera! Oh thank God! I have been worried sick. When you didn't come back..."

I felt two arms wrap around me but I didn't respond I just kept running my fingers through the end of my hair.

"Kittera?"

I turned to Paul meeting his tired Blue eyes.

"Kittera? What happened?"

He stayed quiet as I turned look looking back at the plants I refrained from tearing apart. I put the bench back so I could go back to sitting and thinking.

"I had a visit from Seneca Crane."

I could feel Paul's eyes burning into the side of my head.

"Did he do something to you?"

I shook my head.

"No. He wanted information."

Paul took in a shaky breath.

"What kind of information?"

I gulped. I felt the sting behind my eyes, but I refused to cry. I didn't want to cry. I have done enough crying.

"Weaknesses...of the tributes."

"Why would he want that?"

I shrugged.

"I guess Snow is mad about the scores and wanted him to set it right..."

"Why do I have a feeling there is a but?"

"...but he only asked of those that I have had contact with. 1,2,4, 5, 7,11, and 12. I helped those kids out and now I just killed them because Seneca threatened my brother."

Arms wrapped around me again. I leaned into Paul's chest unsure how to respond.

"You didn't kill anyone."

"I might as well have."

Paul let out a breath, tightening his grip around me.

"You did nothing wrong. It is late and we both need to be up early."

I smiled.

"You do, I don't."

Paul smiled.

"No you are meeting your brother at the center so send him off, Snow and Ebinora arranged it."

I pulled away and looked at Paul.

"Are we sure he is going to want me there?"

Paul chuckled.

"He is going to want you there, he just might not know it yet but he is going to want you there. He acts all confident but I guarantee he is scared just like everyone else."

Paul stood up and reached both hands down to help me up.

"Now come on, It is 3:00 in the morning and we have to be up and at the centers by 8."

I groan.

"I am not even mentoring this year."

Paul smiled grabbing my hands and tugging me to my feet.

"You are right, you are being a big sister this year."

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep was not my friend. I was tossing and turning for most of the night and when the terrible beeping echoed around the bed room I was ready to throw the thing across the room but Paul beat me to it with a groan. The alarm clock shattered against the dry wall, leaving many plastic shards to litter the ground. He flopped back against his pillow and turned to me with a sleepy smile.