Chapter Twenty-One

The lights in this house were light dimly, but the aura was so perfect in here. Everyone looked so happy as they all helped pitching in to make tamales together, everyone looked all like him, with the dark skin and everything. I'd never seen anything like this before, a lot of people are so happy to help cook, I looked around the room watching everyone in awe. Everyone was so in sync and the aroma in here was so nick They were blasting a singer I was told was Selena Quintanilla, but I had no idea who she even was or what she was even saying. Everyone was just laughing and talking, they all looked so happy. It was a bit humid in here from all the cooking but over all everything looked amazing. I guess it's their tradition every year and I hate that I'm not going to be able to witness this next year.

"Cool huh?"

Maria turned her head to look at me, when she turned to look at me so did her hoops in perfect sync with her head. Maria had this beautiful glow coming off her, she was beautiful in a natural way with or without makegood it was obvious. Even though she was naturally beautiful she had red lipstick on, it was like mid wee type of red, she has natural eyelash look with mascara, and the mascara worked well. Her hair was just above her hip and right below her shoulders. If I was being honest looking at her made me feel self-cautious because of how pretty she was compared to me.

"Everything is so amazing."

Jack smiled at my reaction; I wish that I had his family. Everyone just looked so happy, not even a single sad soul in the room. A lot of them changed their language from English to Spanish in conversations, other spoke in full Spanish, and some spoke in full English which was weird.

"Mi Amor"

An older woman called out to Jack from one of the doors in the house. The woman's dark brown hair was turning slightly turning gray, she looked older maybe in her mid-50'2 or something. Her hair was shorter than Maria's, maybe above her shoulders but it was curly just like his sister's hair. The crazy thing Is that Jack has straight hair, so he must of get it from his dad or something. She looked just like Jack; it was like looking at jack when I looked at her. She had the same facial features as he did, every single facial feature that he had were the same as hers. At least I know which parent he gets his looks from. I sat trying to decode what she just said to him, but I was unaware of anything she just told him.

"mami"

He said sounding more excited to see her than his sister. I'm pretty sure he said 'mom', when I was a kid, I had to ace Spanish classes in grade school, but I can't remember anything that I learned back then.

"Where have you been, mi coronene "

Jack released his hands from mine, and she smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him for the biggest hug that I'd ever seen. They hugged each other like The'd haven't seen each other in year, but honestly, I don't really know when's the last time that they'd seen each other. It was cute though to see get that happy around his mom.

The music was blasting so loud I wouldn't be surprised if it blew off my eardrums, it was crazy in here. Everyone in the place was dressed in their finest things, so beautifully and so perfectly

"Mamá, te extrañé mucho"
His voice was filled with lots of love for this woman. At that very moment I knew that she must be an amazing mom to him if he loved her that much.

"Dhalia, Jack, help us make some tamales please"

Maria said something I couldn't pick up in her voice, but she still had the same smile on her face as she did before. I don't even know why I was so scared to meet his family. Everyone here all looks so happy, it's something that I'd never witnessed with my own very eyes before. Jack and his mom were released from their big hug.

"Sure hermana mayor"

Man i was so confused right about now, i probably should learn some spanish but i can't even remember any spanish that i learned from grade school.

"Tamales?"

I asked Jack with a confused and worried look on my face. I never made tamales in my life, heck i didn't even know what tamales were until a few hours ago. Even if I did attempt to make tamales I would have absolutely no idea what to make them in the first place. Tamale making looks so complicated and confusing and quite frankly i wasn't sure if i was ready to make them, i wasn't quite sure if i was that advanced in making spanish anything yet.

"Relax Dhal, it's easy, we'll be guiding you to whole time i promise"

The lady from before turned to look at me with a calmly and happy smile upon her face. She had dimples when she smiled, and she had some wrinkles from old age I'm assuming.

"Im Rosa, im his mother, i gave birth to that amazing boy all by myself"

She Said it so proudly it was so funny I had to bite my tongue not to laugh. She put her hand to her chest as she spoke her sentence as proudly as possible.

"Its pleasure to meet you Rosa, i'm Dahlia im his-"

Before I could finish my sentence it got cut off by her midway.

"Girlfriend, i know i've heard so much amazing things about you, like how you were the most beautiful creature in the world"

Hearing that he talked to her about me and told her things my mind instantly went to the fact that maybe she knew i had cancer, despite the compliment i just got.

"Well it was nice meeting you Rosa, i have to help jack"

"Of course, of course honey, good luck"

She laughed as she moved out of the way for me to catch up with jack. There was this one teenager, probably around 15 or something, she had on big fake eyelashes, and her face was filled with makeup, she wore the biggest hoops that I'd ever seen and she wore a white crop top. She looked scary in my opinion but she was laughing along with the family, and her tamales looked perfect, like pinterest perfect, how was i supposed to compete with her tamale making. I took the nearest seat right next to Jack completely unaware of what to do. When I sat down the tenager gave her a glare still with a smile on her face before looking down and finishing her tamales. By now Jack had already made at least six tamales or something, it was crazy he was like a tamale making machine. I watched him for a few seconds in awe at how good his tamales looked.