Chapter Twenty-Three

He laughed at my tamales. I put my hands on the tamales and moved some over to make some room for my weird looking tamales. I put my sloppy tamale on the spot that I just made. Next to the rest of their tamales, mine look like a joke. Why do their tamales have to look so dang perfect? Mine had meat sticking out of the side of it, I guess I just put way too much meat. I looked at Jack and frowned at him, giving him a slight huff.

"It's beautiful, you did an amazing job for your first time."

He picked up his pointer finger that had masa all over it and he booped me on the nose getting a masa on the end of my nose. It was cold and felt a tad bit like a pumpkin being all on the end of my nose. My jaw dropped once my brain processes what had just happened.

"How dare you."

I scolded him but all he did was just laugh at how stupid I looked with masa all over my dang nose. Because he wasn't paying any attention to what I just told him, I did the first thing I could think of, and I dipped my finger into the container of masa. It was cold and the texture was like butter or cream cheese around my finger. I got a good amount to cure my finger once it hit the container and I rubbed it diagonally on his left cheek leaving a mark of white on his cheek, it was so funny. His jaw dropped for a quick second before we both started laughing at how stupid we looked with masa all over our faces. His teen cousin looked up, giving us the death glare as she watched us make a big mess.

"I don't think she likes me."

I leaned in and whispered to him in between tiny bits of laughter; I swear I sounded so drunk right now.

"She doesn't like anyone."

He laughed to me with a solid huge smile across his face.

"Now finish your tamales."

He pointed at my cutting board that had nothing on it. The maze that was still there from when I made my tamale was starting to get dry from how long it's been since I made my tamale. The masa on my hands began to dry crusty like.

"Yeah yeah"

I laughed as I used my right hand and grabbed the nearest tamale husk. Sweat was dripping down my forehead, cold and salty as it fell down like a zigzag. I felt this awful weight on me like i knew that i made bad tamales, but hey its only my first time making tamales. I heard them talking about something called flan the earlier, whatever that stuff is. Flan sounds gross, I think it's like a Mexican desert or something. I loved the aura in here, it was so nice the way everyone looked so happy as they made their tamales in sync. It was crazy how everyone looked so perfect and mine looked straight up like crap.

"Who wants flan"

Maria shouted as loud as she could. She stood on the counter with her hand on it, taking a loud plastic lid off of something. It looked kind of like a caramel if it was a cake. It looked like yellow or goldish leather.

"Flan?"

I looked over at Jack to ask him to be as curious as possible. Is this what I heard his Mexican family talking about earlier?

"It's a mexican desert, im forcing you to try it and let me know what you think"

"Ok"

Honestly I had no idea what to think about it. It looked jiggle like jello but it was shiny. He scooted the chair out by using his two feet then he stood up and looked over at me.

"There's a rag right there"

He pointed over to the wet rag right in front of me. It was white and somewhat wet, but not in a soaking way. The rag was a rag that people used to clean themselves in the shower, a shower rag. He began to walk over to the kitchen along with everyone. It was like a wild herd of buffalos right now with everyone heading to get this flan thing. I wonder how tamales taste. I used my right hand and I picked up the rag and grabbed it, feeling the wetness of the rag spread throughmy hands as I picked it up. It was rough from the fabric they use to make the rag. I whipped my hand as clean as I could, rubbed so hard I could feel a little bit of a carpet burn or something.

 A small spot on my hand was turning red from all of the wiping. The lady from before sat down next to me where she was before, she had a plate with two pieces of flan on it. The flan giggled as she moved. It smelt kind of like vanilla. The lady had straight long brown hair, and her skin was a beautiful shade of brown. She held onto a plastic fork as she dug into the flan, taking more bites of it. I wonder if flan is considered as a cake or if not then what is flan conceited as. The lady looked so happy as she ate her cake, it was cute. She was pregnant and her belly was big too. 

"How long?"

I finally brought up enough courage to talk to her. She looked at me with a sweet Sebastian throughout her whole face. Just from one look she seemed so sweet and kind.

"12 weeks"

"That's insane"

I laughed with a smile at my response.

"Yea i know, she's always kicking like crazy"

My first thought was the fact that the lady said it was a she

"She? Do you guys have any names for planets?"

"yeah , we do actually we were either thinking Olivia and we could call her Liv for shot"

I loved that name, it's such a beautiful name. This lady has a gift for choosing names for their baby.

"Or like Maddie"

"Their both so beautiful"

She laughed at my response. Her laugh seemed so sweet, and innocent. She had the most beautiful laugh that I have ever heard in all the 16 years that I have lived.

"I know, that the hard part"