An Heir For The Heir

Royal Gardens

Taeron walked with his wife. Her arm was linked around his, she enjoyed the sun, and the sound of birds chirping. They had been delayed because the moment they got to their rooms, they immediately had sex.

"Taeron?" She called him.

"Yes, my love." He looked at her as they walked.

"Why didn't you do your duty first to interrogate the prisoner?" She asked.

Taeron sighed and saw a nearby bench. "Sit with me." He offered, and she did. "I owe you an apology. When I had Orvax eat that pirate captain, you saw a side of me. A side that I was trying to hold back for many years, the thought of losing you angered me. I want to protect you, but I don't ever want you to see that side of me, the monster that I am." He said sadly, and Alicent put her hand on his cheek.

"You're not a monster, not to me, I love you Taeron and that will never change, do what you have to do to protect me and the family that we will build together, but know that I do not fear you." She assured him.

"I'm grateful for you, my love." He said

"As I am for you, my love." She said, and they kissed, not caring who was watching.

Small council chambers

"Lord Celtigar has written to me." Taeron said. "I've had him send some of his men to fight in the Stepstones. It's not enough, but it can make a difference."

"Why do you insist on waging war on the Crabfeeder, my son?" Viserys asked.

"I was more than willing to ignore it, but then chose to invade my home and threaten my wife." Taeron said.

"Agreed, my prince." Otto said. "How did you know that the pirates would attack?"

"I have people who owe me favors and people who freely spy for me." Taeron said. "Thanks to our new master of ships, the waters are protected. Should the Triarchy even think to cross the Narrow Sea, we will know it."

"You honor me, my prince." Tyland said.

"If that is all." Viserys said.

"No." Taeron spoke up. "I want you to send more men and ships to the Stepstones. Your son is fighting there, and they are losing. Aid him your grace."

"I cannot, my son, not until war comes to our shores." Viserys said.

"They already have. They wanted to kill me and do worse to your daughter-in-law. Isn't that enough?" Taeron asked.

"I'll send a few men, I can not send more." Viserys said.

"Yes, you can." Taeron got up from his chair and left the Small Council Chambers.

Six weeks later , Taeron and Alicents chambers

Taeron had a meeting in the small council, and Alicent was in their room talking to Rhaenyra.

"I think the hair tie that you gave him is becoming the best thing that he wears." Rhaenyra said. She had asked Rhaenyra to join, and Rhaenyra tried out of the respect and love she had for Taeron. "He does seem to wear it everyday, one might say he's grown accustomed to tying his hair, considering how long it is." She said.

"Yes, well, at this rate, it will grow to his legs if he doesn't cut it." Alicent chuckled.

"I commend you, Alicent, for opening his heart, but he still seems to remain cold when he's in the small council meetings." Rhaenyra said.

"Yes, well, he has told me many times that his duty does not end until the last drop of ink is dry." Alicent told them.

"I assume he's the quill, and the council members are the ink?" Rhaenyra inquired.