Into The Fire

Pentos

Rhaena was humming while holding her egg at the fireplace. It had not hatched yet, and ahw wanted to have a dragon so badly, just like her mother, father, and sisters. She wanted to be a dragonrider as well.

"It's been 8 years, sweetling." She heard her mother and took her egg out from the fire. "Half of them never do, you know."

"What?" Rhaena asked.

"Hatch." Laena said.

"Will they let me stay?" The little girl asked.

"Will who let you stay?" She asked her daughter

"The Prince of Pentos." She answered her mother

"It's you, and father...and Vaela and Baela 'cause you have dragons." Rhaena said.

Laena looked at her daughter and then knelt down to her level. She did not want to her family to live in Pentos, she wanted to go back to Driftmark and also visit Runestone to see Duncan, she had raised him as her own, and she wanted to live out her days in Driftmark, and to also be closer to her family, she hasn't seen her mother and father in 3 years.

"There is more than one way to bind yourself to a dragon. I was without one till I was 15 years old, and now I ride Vhagar, the largest in the world." Laena said, and Rhaena smiled. "You have a harder road. Vaela and Baela's dragons were born to them, but if you wish to be a rider, you must claim that right. Your father will tell you the same thing."

"Father ignores me." Rhaena said sadly. "I think he would only notice me if I had a dragon."

Laena held her daughter. "He's doing his best."

After Laena put Rhaena to bed, she went outside and saw Vaegon sitting and drinking wine. When he saw her, he smiled at her. She was his wife, beautiful as ever, he put a pillow next to him so that she be comfortable when she sits.

"Laenor has written." She told him. "Rhaenyra has delivered another son."

"Did your brother mention if this one also bears a marked, but entirely coincidental resemblance to the commander of the City Watch?" He asked and chuckled.

"He seems to have left that part out." She looked at him as he looked at his drink. "When will we see Duncan?"

Vaegon sighed. "Soon, not sure when, but soon."

"I miss my son, Vaegon." Laena said.

"He's not your son, not really." Vaegon argued.

"I raised him.  I never cared that we didn't share blood, but he is my son, and I wish to see him again." Laena said.

"She has a point." Taeron appeared.

Vaegon put his hands on his head. "Please go away, stop torturing me!" Vaegon yelled.

"I'm not torturing you, Vaegon." Laena defended.

"Not you, him." He said and pointed to where Taeron was standing, but Laena saw nothing but a pillar.

"Vaegon, there's nothing there. I swear to you, there's nothing there. It's just you and me out here." Laena said.

"You know I'm not going anywhere, right?" Taeron said.

"He said he's not going anywhere, Laena." Vaegon said.

Laena was afraid. The last time this happened, Vaegon had almost hit her in the face but was able to stop just in time. She slowly walked to him.

"Look at me, Vaegon, it's just us. Don't lose yourself. It's just you and me." She said. Vaegon looked again, and Taeron was gone. "I dont understand what is happening to you, but I'm here. I think it's because you miss your brother, Vaegon, just like I miss mine." Laena said.