Ambition for Driftmark

134AC

Dragonstone

On the high mountains of Dragonstone, Duncan had watched as Syrax flew to her cave where she had been lying her eggs. Duncan waited for her to depart, and when she did, he entered the cave and found three eggs. He then smirked when he saw the eggs. At the age of 16, he had grown at the height of 6'2, and was a formidable fighter thanks to his father and Daemons intense training, and had risen to Lord of Runestone. He was approached by two dragonkeepers.

"It would seem that Syrax brought forth a fresh clutch today. Three eggs, three eggs." He happily proclaimed. "See to it that they are placed in the warming chamber." He said and gave the bag of eggs to his uncle.

"At once, my prince." The dragonkeeper said and revealed a little. "A raven came from King's Landing." He gave the letter to Duncan and when Duncan read it he got angry, he was having a good day and now someone had to suffer for ruining it.

Driftmark

Like Duncan Rhaenys had also received news that could make her anger set the world on fire. Lord Corlys was returning home from war, but he suffered an injury.

"It's been near 6 years since I last saw my lord husband, Maester." Rhaenys said. "I must know. Will he live?" She asked.

"He lead his sailors into an ambush, his ship made to look as if it were abandoned, in the fighting, his neck was slashed by a corsairs dagger, he fell overboard into the sea, the wound was severe, much blood was lost, but the greater concern is the fever that followed, the ships maester says it burns from within." Maester Kelvyn said.

Rhaenys needed time to absorb this information, she was angry at her husband but she did not want him to die, she looked at her granddaughter Baela, who had been her ward for the last 4 years.

"The ravens came from?" She asked.

"Edenfall, princess." The maester said.

"So they arrive in three days? Let us all be ready to receive him, Maester Kelvyn." Rhaenys said, and Maester Kelvyn bowed and left the Hall of Nine.

Baela sighed as she walked to her grandmother. "The Sea Snake is strong."

"No doubt, and yet, I have seen that fever overcome men half his age." Vaemond said.

"I will not suffer the talk of crows in my house, Vaemond." Rhaenys warned.

"I love my brother, but we must be honest with ourselves, we may greet his ship to find him gone, and who will take the Driftwood Throne?" Vaemond asked.

"My grandmother seems quite comfortable here." Baela said.

Vaemond smirked at her and looked at her as if he wanted her. "She presides only in the absence of her husband. Upon his death, the throne passes to -"

"Jacaerys Velaryon, as is my lord hubsbands desire." Rhaenys cut him off.

"I am the Sea Snakes own blood, the closest kin he has left." Vaemond pointed out.

"Be careful, good-brother. One could take your words for treason." Rhaenys warned him again

Vaemond walked closer to Rhaenys up the steps. "I speak the truth, Rhaenys, and you know it." He said.

"The matter has been decided." Rhaenys dismissed.

"By a man whose ambition has brought down on us calamity after calamity, my brother cares only for the history books, but what of the Velaryon line? Is it to be snuffed out? Supplanted by the pups of House Strong?" He asked. "Driftmark is mine, by all rights, and while I should like your support, I do not need it. The winds have shifted, and the crown had good reason to take my side." Vaemond pointed out.