We Light The Way, With Fire And Blood

Viserys room

Viserys was in bad shape, he was pale and the treatment that he was receiving seemed to only have made things worse, he was advised by Taeron to have his maester tend to his illness, but the king insisted that the Grandmaester help him.

"Rest now, your grace. I will bring the leeches." Mellos said.

"If I may Grandmaester, I too the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more effective." Maester Orwyle,  the Grandmaesters assistant, was cut off by Mellos.

"That will not be necessary, Orwyle. The leechings have always brought his grace relief." Mellos said and grunted when he got up. He was old and stubborn, and everyone could see it. Orwyle then went to Lord Lyonel.

"To help him sleep." He whispered and handed some medicine to the hand of the king.

"Where's Rhaenyra?" The king asked.

"I understand she's otherwise occupied. Lady Alicent is helping princess Rhaenyra with a dress for the wedding feast, your grace." Lyonel said, and he handed the king a bottle of the medication.

"Taeron?" Viserys asked.

"Taeron has been seen since we got to the Red Keep, your grace." Lyonel said.

"He hates me. They all do. Will I be remembered as a good king, Lyonel?" Viserys asked.

"Your grace?" Lyonel inquired.

"What will they say of me when the histories are written, I have neither fought nor conquered, nor suffered any great defeat." He said.

"Some might call that good fortune." Lyonel said.

"It hardly makes a good song, does it, to be sung at feasts in a hundred years, five hundred?" Viserys asked.

"You have carried King Jaehaerys' legacy and kept the realm strong." Lyonel said. They didn't know that Taeron was outside listening.

Viserys chuckled. "By breaking family apart, I loved Aemma, and what I did to her isn't something you do to someone you love. She was my world and destroyed my family with one choice. My eldest son rules the kingdom all, but in name, my second son loves his madness, and my daughter, my sweet Rhaenyra, lost in a world that she will never understand." Viserys said.

"And yet you have peace in the realm, your grace. Is it not better to live in peace than to have songs sung after you are dead?" Lyonel asked.

"Perhaps, but there is a part of me that wishes that I've been tested, I often think in the crucible, I may have been forged a different man." Viserys said.

"Many who are tested, only wish to have been spared it." Lyonel said.

"Another lord might assure me that I would rise like Aegon the Conquerer if given the chance." The king said.

"Your grace, that is -" He was cut off by Viserys.

"You're right, you're right...as always, it is perhaps best not to know." Viserys said.

Taeron heard most of what was said, and he heard his father's sadness toward his mother's death. For a second, he felt something but immediately snapped out of it.

"Leave us lord hand." Taeron said upon entering the room.

"My prince." Lyonel bowed and immediately left.

"Moon tea. You had Mellos prepare moon tea." Taeron said as soon as Lyonel closed the door.

"My son... I'm exhausted." Viserys said, not wanting to fight.