Chapter 62

**Alex’s POV**

I toss and turn, but I can’t fall asleep again. I decide to sneak into the boys’ dormitory and get into bed with Fred. I wrap my cloak around my shoulders and tiptoe downstairs, then up to the boy’s dormitory. I push the door open and sneak in. It feels warmer in here. I look around the room and my eyes settle on Fred and George’s beds. Their beds are empty and their trunks are gone. Confused, I go back to my own bed and fall into a troubled sleep.

When I wake in the morning, the air is icy and grey light filters in through the window. I have a hot shower and get dressed, rugging up against the cold, but still shivering. The other girls are climbing out of bed, shivering and drawing their clothes on. Scarlett is standing close to the fire, warming her fingertips. I go and stand by her to dry my hair.

“Fred and George have left,” I tell her. She looks at me, confused.

“What?”

“I woke up during the night and went in to Fred, but their beds were empty and their trunks were gone,” I explain. Scarlett looks puzzled.

“Maybe you were just half asleep,” she suggests with a frown, “anyway, let’s go down to breakfast, we’ll ask Ron if he knows anything.”

But none of the Weasleys are at breakfast. Harry’s missing too, and Hermione doesn’t know anything.

“Who would kidnap all the Weasleys?” Scarlett asks as we walk to defense. I shrug.

“Maybe something happened and they had to go home.”

Scarlett pales.

“I hope everything’s okay,” she says quietly.

We walk into Defense where Umbridge is in a foul mood.

“Just read your books!” she yells, stomping around, “no wands, no noise!”

“What crawled up her and died?” Scarlett breathes. I shush her, thinking of Fred’s hand. As we read Umbridge storms up and down the class, handing back essays. I get a P. I sigh and put it in my bag. She really doesn’t like muggle-borns. Scarlett gets an A.

As soon as the bells rings I leave the classroom, heading towards Transfiguration. Scarlett catches up to me halfway up the corridor.

“What’s a toad’s favourite sweet?” she asks. I shrug.

“Lollihops,” she grins, “cheer up, Al. Her marks don’t count.”

“I know,” I sigh, “still, how am I supposed to know how I’m doing if I get the same mark every time?”

“Well, does it matter?” Scarlett asks, “I mean, I thought you wanted to be a hair dresser. Your Hogwarts marks don’t matter in the muggle world.”

I shrug. Scarlett nudges me playfully.

“At least you didn’t get a T,” she says. I laugh and follow her in to Transfiguration. McGonagall is also handing back essays. She seems to be distracted, but at least she’s not spitting fire. She hands back my essay and I get an E.

“Just think,” Scarlett says as we walk down to lunch, “in six months the exams will be over and we will officially be out of school!”

“Hooray!” I laugh.

“What do you think you’ll do?” Felicity asks.

“I want to travel,” I say, “I want to see everything, the whole world!”

“And be a hair dresser,” Scarlett adds. I laugh.

“A beautician,” I correct her.

“So you want to travel and make people beautiful?” Scarlett asks, “count me in!”