Chapter 97

WARNING: I cried in this too. . . Maybe I'm overly emotional. . . Anyway. . . Tissues were needed for me. . .

________________________________________________________________________________
**George's POV**

The Battle ended, but the war left many scars. So many losses. The one that hurt me most was Fred. I'd never dreamed that I'd lose him. We had his funeral about a week and a half after the Battle of Hogwarts. We buried he and Alex side-by-side. I carved his tombstone myself:

Fred Weasley
1978 - 1998
Mischief Managed

After the funeral I stayed behind. I know it might sound crazy, but I wanted to talk to my brother. Hey, ghosts can come back, so is it so mad that he could hear? Well, maybe, but. . . I needed to talk to him.

"Hey, Freddie," I swallow hard, "I, uh, I know you'd make fun of me for being so serious right now. . . But. . . You don't know how alone I feel. Everyone is understanding, but. . . I miss you, mate. It's just not the same without you. In a way. . . In a way it's good Alex died, so she doesn't have to feel this pain, but. . . She would have understood. I guess you two are together now, which is good but. . ."

I have to stop. My throat is closing up and tears are rolling down my face. I sink to my knees, twisting my hands in the grass.

"Dammit, Fred!" I sob. There's a soft whoosing noise and a rush of cold air. I look up and see. . . Not a ghost, it's even less solid than a ghost, but it's Fred. And Alex. I stand up, wiping my face. They're holding hands and smiling sadly.

"Wha-"

"We haven't got long," Fred says, "we need to get going. We've fallen a bit behind from the others."

"Can't you come back?" I beg. Fred grins.

"And miss all the fun? Not likely!"

His face softens.

"Look, mate," he says gently, "I hate to leave you behind, but there's still a lot for you to do around here. The joke shop won't run itself, and people need a laugh. You can give them that."

I nod, holding my breath so I don't burst into tears again. Alex reaches out her hand and it goes through my shoulder. She makes a face and I hiccup a laugh.

"It'll be hard," she says in her soft way, "we'll miss you too, but we'll be waiting for you. You have so much ahead of you. You need to live a full life so there's lots to tell us when you catch up."

They both look behind them, seeing something I can't.

"We've got to go," Fred says, "Remus and Tonks are waiting for us, and Remus is eager to meet up with James and Sirius. Look, make sure everyone is okay. Mum too. Let her know I love her."

He chokes up for the first time. Alex puts her arm around his waist.

"We'll be waiting for you," she smiles.

"Love you, mate," Fred nods and they both disappear into the air.

I step back, shocked. Something's changed in me. I still feel sad, but somehow it doesn't seem like I'm saying goodbye. Just. . . "See you later".

I turn around and see Scarlett waiting for my at the other side of the cemetry. As I walk towards her she holds out her hand and I take it willingly. I smile down at her.

"Everything's going to be okay," I say quietly.

And eventually, it is.