Chapter 58

**Alex’s POV**

I sit and stare at Fred. He’s sitting with George and Scarlett who are back to normal. The three of them are talking and laughing.

“Alex?”

I look around at Jace. He’s watching me as I drip ink all over my essay.

“You can work things out with him, you know,” he says, siphoning the ink off with his wand. I shake my head.

“I messed it all up,” I sigh, “I was just so angry…”

“I know,” he says, “but Fred really likes you. Just tell him you’re sorry.”

I watch Fred as he flicks ink at Scarlett. I wish I was over there with him.

“Ask him out.”

“What?” I look around at Jace again.

“There’s a Hogsmeade visit tomorrow,” he says, “send him a note asking him to meet you there and work things out.”

I stare at Jace for a moment.

“Do you think it’d-”

“Alex, I wouldn’t be telling you to do it if I didn’t think it would work,” he points out, “now, stop being a wimp, toughen up and ask him out!”

He shoves a blank piece of parchment at me.

“What do I say?” I ask.

“To my darling Fred-”

“No, seriously.”

“Yo, bitch-”

“Jace, really?”

“Sup, sexy?”

I can’t help laughing at him. Jace grins.

“Just write ‘Fred, sorry about everything. I want to work things out. If you want to, meet me tomorrow at’,” Jace shrugs, “wherever.”

“The Shrieking Shack?”

“Wow, Al, you’re a closet romantic!”

“Sarcasm noted,” I smirk, “at least it’ll be private.”

“That’s true,” Jace nods, “oh, before you go there, go to Honeydukes and get one of those huge love-heart lollipops.”

“Okay,” I laugh.

Dear Fred,

I’m sorry about the way I’ve been acting lately. I was wondering if we could talk tomorrow? I’ll be down by the Shrieking Shack at ten.

Alex xoxo

I fold it up carefully then pack up my stuff and hand it to Jace.

“Throw it at him once I’m upstairs, will you?” I ask.

“Sure, I’ll be the messager pigeon,” he says. I grin at him and run upstairs. I sure hope this works.

At ten o’clock the next day I’m waiting near the Shrieking Shack with a huge chocolate heart and a box of Bertie Botts. I feel so nervous that I’m convinced I’m going to throw up. I’m nervous that he will turn up and more nervous that he won’t. When I hear footsteps I feel my heart throw itself into my mouth.

“Hey,” Fred says, walking over to me.

“I got you these,” I say, handing him the candy. He looks down at them and smiles.