Chapter 96

WARNING: I cried during this chapter, so go and get some tissues if you're a crier. Go on! Good, now you can read. . . I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

____________________________________________________________________________

**George's POV**

I grip Bill's arm as You-Know-Who's voice fades. The Death Eaters are disapparating, backing off and leaving the castle.

"Come on," Bill pants, "Great Hall, everyone will be there."

We jog down the stairs, flight after flight of stairs. I want to see Scarlett, I have to know she's alright. She's the only thing on my mind as I reach the Entrance Hall and run through the rubble to the Great Hall. It's not hard to miss our family, because of the hair. I see Ginny's long hair, then Scarlett's. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Scar!"

She turns and my heart stops. Her face is stained with tears. I start to run faster as she moves towards me. We meet a few metres from the family and I grab her, pulling her into my arms.

"Shh," I breathe, "are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm sorry," she whispers, "Oh, George, I'm so sorry."

"Honey, wha- Fred! NO!"

My world stops. My family moves apart so that I can see my brother lying on the floor. I stumble towards him and fall to my knees. I feel a jolt as I hit the cement, but no pain. I'm numb. I touch Fred's face. It's cold, so cold. Too cold.

"Freddie?" I breathe, "no, Fred, no!"

I fall on him, crying like I've never cried before. I feel Mum's arms around my shoulders, but it does nothing to ease the pain I feel in my gut. Like it's been ripped out. It's not just pain, it's emptiness. Overwhelming emptiness. I'll never have Fred again, he's gone. He'll never wake me up with a pillow to the face, we'll never prank together. I'll never see his smile, hear his laugh, say the same thing at the same time.

"NO!" my voice erupts from me, full of pain, even to my ears. Mum holds me tighter, but I want to see Alex. She'll understand, she'll know what I'm going through. I look up and see her on the floor next to Fred. Her eyes are open and green, but cold, empty. Another stab of pain runs through me and I collapse back onto Fred.

"I'm sorry," I sob, "Fred, I'm sorry! I should've been there. . ."

I hear Ron approaching behind me, his cry of shock and pain. I stand up and feel Charlie's arms around me, holding me up. Times like this it's good to have older brothers. I cry on his shoulder as he shakes with silent sobs. Ginny's hand takes one of mine and Charlie pulls her into the hug too. I sink to my knees, my legs giving out. Then I'm in Scarlett's arms and hot tears are pattering on my head. I'm so glad no one is telling me it's going to be okay, because it isn't. It just isn't.

As my sobbing subsides I become aware that people are walking past us, heading outside. Scarlett takes my hand and we follow them. The Death Eaters have essembled. Hagrid is among them, Harry in his arms. I feel another dull stab of pain, but I think I'm going into shock. I just feel numb and cold. There's a commotion and then Harry is alive! I turn to make a joke to Fred about it, but he's not beside me. Just an empty space.

The fighting starts up again. I grab Scarlett and hold her close.

"Don't let me lose you!" I tell her.

"You won't!" she promises, "come on!"