Chapter 43

**Alex’s POV**

The next day the whole school is buzzing about the Tournament. Since I’m not old enough to enter I don’t see the excitement, but apparently all the boys do. Fred and George are planning ways to get around the age barrier.

“It’s not going to work,” Scarlett tells them for the millionth time as we head down to Care of Magical Creatures.

“If you can’t say something helpful, don’t say anything at all,” George says. Scarlett rolls her eyes.

“This coming from Mr If-We-Use-An-Aging-Potion-We’ll-Fool-Everyone.”

“Have you got any better ideas?” George asks.

“You could not enter and keep your head on your shoulders,” Scarlett retorts, “not that it’s doing much good.”

“Yeah, well, at least I’m not getting fat,” George snaps. Scarlett stops dead in her tracks and looks down at her stomach.

“Oh My Gosh!” she cries and begins running towards the castle. Fred and I look at George who hits himself on the forehead.

“Shit!” he groans, “cover for us!”

“What was that about?” I ask. Fred shakes his head.

“Is Scarlett okay?” I ask George at dinner. He sighs.

“I don’t know,” he replies, “Carma is with her.”

“I think it might have been an overreaction,” I tell him.

“Well, girls get a bit funny around that time, you know,” he says, “anyway, she’ll be okay.”

Okay isn’t quite a correct assessment. When I walk into the dormitory after dinner Carma is sitting stroking Scarlett’s head which is in her lap. Scarlett’s face is red and blotchy and her eyes are swollen. There’s a pile of dirty tissues next to her and a couple of tissue boxes on the bed.

“Uh, Scarlett?” I say, “he didn’t mean it.”

Scarlett bursts into a fresh wave of tears and pulls a pillow over her face.

“She’s just a bit stressed right now,” Carma says, patting the pillow, “I like those earrings, they’re very sunny.”

“Thanks,” I say, grabbing my pyjamas and towel, “well, I’m going to shower… She should get some sleep. Oh and I have plenty of ‘girl things’ if she needs them.”