Chapter 90

**Alex's POV**

"Une chanson douce

Que me chantait ma maman-"

I raise my head slightly, listening to the calm, soothing voice floating in from the garden. I can't understand the words, but I like the sound of the voice. It's familiar, warm.

"-En suçant mon pouce

J'écoutais en m'endormant-"

I struggle into a sitting position. I'm in a soft, warm bed wearing a long, white nightgown. My other pajamas are folded neatly on a chair beside my bed and come other clothes are laid out on the dressing table. The room is made of soft sand stone, a pale pink-gold colour with a white roof and wooden doors. The window is open, showing a spectacular view of the ocean. I can smell the salt on the air.

"-Cette chanson douce,

Je veux la chanter pour toi-"

I climb unsteadily out of bed, my head spinning. There's a bowl of cool soup and some bread sitting on the dresser. I eat it hungrily then get dressed in the grey jeans and loose white top. I brush my hair and braid it as the last lines of the song float up from the garden.

"-Car ta peau est douce

Comme la mousse des bois."

I ease the door open and slip outside. The white-washed hallway leads down to a small landing with wooden stairs leading down to a small living room. I creep down the stairs, wishing I had my wand and feeling very vunerable without it. Although I've been taken care of so far, I don't know who these people are. I glance around and see the kitchen. Knives! I take one step towards the kitchen when a voice stops me.

"Well, well, well, Miss Alex is finally out of bed."

I spin around,

"Bill!" I cry, running into his arms, "Oh, Bill! It's so good to see you!"

Bill holds me tightly, the way Michael or Tyler would hold me when I was young. I feel tears prickling my eyes and pull away, wiping them quickly. I see Fleur coming in behind him, a large basket of vegetables under her arm.

"Fleur!" I cry, embracing her.

"Alex!" she exclaims, handing the basket to Bill and squeezing me tightly, "come! Sit down!"

She leads me to the living area and sits me down. Bill joins us with a tray of tea. I cup my hands around the mug, letting it warm me.

"What happened?" I ask, looking between them.

"We could ask you the same thing!" Bill says, "I was out collecting fire wood then I saw someone curled up on the ground wearing torn pants and a t-shirt! As I went close I realised it was you. I wrapped you in my jacket and brought you back here. But what happened, Alex? We hadn't heard anything from you in months!"

"Months?" I ask, "but, it's only January!"

Bill glances at Fleur.

"No, it's March," he says. I frown, thinking back to the calendar. Maybe I didn't cross it off everyday. Did Dane cross it off when it was his turn as guard? I shake my head. Everything feels so blurry.

"March," I repeat, "what date?"

"Ze seventeenth," Fleur supplies. I shake my head. I can't believe this! Could it really have been two months with Dane? Or was I alone for longer? All those days of walking, running and hiding. Could they have been weeks?

"The others," I say, looking up at them, "Fred, is he-"

"They're all safe," Bill says, "once you're a bit stronger I'll take you to them."