Chapter 73

**Alex’s POV**

“Aw, don’t you just look adorable?”

I glare at Tahlia. She smirks while Tiffany laughs openly. I look around at my reflection. I look utterly ridiculous. Mum comes into my room, followed by Michael. Both of them raise their eyebrows.

“Wow, that’s. . . Wow,” Michael says.

“Fantastic, isn’t it?” Tahlia sighs, “and look, we got these adorable little shoes for her!”

“Yeah, it’s great,” Michael says, “look, we need to go and check out the flower arrangements.”

“Of course,” Tahlia says, “come on, Tiffany.”

The three of them leave and Mum looks over at me. I burst into tears.

“Oh, sweetie!” Mum cries, pulling me into a hug.

“I thought I was going to get a sister, not a torturer!” I sob. Mum strokes my hair comfortingly. I pull away and rip the dress off, throwing it into a corner. I pull on some jeans and a shirt and grab my keys.

“Where are you going?” Mum asks.

“I just need someone,” I say, pulling some shoes on, “I’ll see you later.”

I run out to the car, then stop. I’ve hardly used magic since I finished school, maybe that’s why I’ve felt so disconnected from the Wizarding world. I shove my keys in my pocket and twist on the spot.

I appear in the Leaky Cauldron causing the bartender to jump. I look around in surprise. The pub is empty except for the bartender and an old witch in one corner who looks as if she might be asleep. I walk out the back and tap a brick in the wall. I walk into the Alley and stop. It’s practically empty. There’s only a few small groups of people hurrying around and most of the shops are closed. I walk down the street and turn a corner.

I couldn’t have missed Fred and George’s shop if I was blind.

It’s a struggle to even get in to the shop; it’s packed with people. I push my way through, wondering how on earth I’m going to find either of-

“Hello, lovely.”

I leap out of my skin as George appears beside me. He grins at me, but then his grin fades.

“Al, are you okay?” he asks, putting his hand on my arm. I try to smile, but instead dissolve into tears again. George puts his arm around my shoulders and leads me upstairs and into the back of the shop. He pulls a flight of stairs down from the ceiling and helps me up them.

“Sit,” he says, pulling out a chair at a small table. I sit down, hiccupping. George makes a cup of hot tea and puts a box of tissues in front of me.

“I’m no good and girls and their emotions,” he says, “and Fred’s just gone to run an errand, but wait here and I’ll find two things that I think will cheer you up immensely.”

He disappears downstairs and I mop up my face and slurp some tea. Once I’ve calmed down a bit I look around. I’m in a small kitchen with four doors that lead off it. Three lead into bedrooms, one a little messy, another neater and the third looks like a bomb hit it, and the other door leads into a small bathroom. I can just see a duck shower curtain poking out. George comes bounding up the stairs again, carrying a box.

“We meant to give you this as a graduation present,” he says, “I think now is a good time to give it to you.”

He places the box on my lap and something moves inside.