Chapter 24

**Alex’s POV**

We have to give out kneelets back to Kettleburn first lesson back. The first thing I notice about him is his new peg-leg.

“What happened?” I ask.

“Long story,” he says shortly.

We have Lockhart on our second day and everyone already hates him.

“He’s such an idiot!” Scarlett scowls, “who cares what his favourite colour is?”

“Oi, you lot!” Oliver Wood calls across the hall. Scarlett’s expression darkens and she hurries into the Great Hall. Oliver comes over.

“Quidditch practice this Saturday,” he says, “bright and early.”

Angelina and Alicia glance at each other.

“Aren’t you doing try outs?” Angelina asks.

“No, why?” Oliver asks, “we’ve already got a top notch team.”

Fred glances at Angelina.

“What about Scarlett?” he asks, “she’s better than Katie, you know she is.”

Oliver runs his hand through his hair.

“I know,” he says, “but Scarlett doesn’t work well in the team.”

“She works fine!” Alicia protests, “sure, sometimes she and George fight, but-”

“That’s the problem,” Oliver interrupts, “nobody fights with Katie.”

“Well I’ll leave the team, then,” George says, “don’t kick Scarlett off.”

“She’s off the team!” Oliver yells, “Quidditch practice! Saturday! Don’t be late!”

He storms off and Angelina sighs.

“There’s only one thing to do,” She says, looking at Alicia, Fred and George. Fred and George grin evilly.

“Get Katie off the team,” they say in unison.

Saturday morning I walk down into the common room at about eleven o’clock. Angelina, Alicia, Fred and George are all sitting there talking. I sit down with them and immediately pick up what they’re talking about.

“She was terrible,” Angelina says, “Oliver will have to get rid of her.”

“What did you do?” I ask apprehensively.

“We confounded Katie,” Fred says, “she didn’t get a single shot in.”

“Oliver was very disappointed,” George grins.

“Don’t you feel sorry for Katie?” I ask.

“No,” they answer.

“I do,” I tell them, “I mean, I know Scarlett loves Quidditch and all, but I don’t think it’s fair for Katie. She’s younger than us, we should be setting a good example.”

“Poor naïve Alex,” Fred sighs, patting me on the shoulder. I roll my eyes while secretly wishing he’d never stop patting my shoulder.

“I’m going to have breakfast,” I tell them, “I’ll see you around.”

I walk down to the Great Hall and see Scarlett sitting alone at the Gryffindor table, a book open in front of her.

“What’re you reading?” I ask.

“Nothing,” she blushes, snapping it shut and hiding it in her robes, “plans for today?”

“No,” I say, frowning at her, “just homework.”

“Mm, me too,” she says, quickly finishing her orange juice, “well, see you later, Alex!”

I watch as she hurries off, confused. That wasn’t like Scarlett at all.

“I don’t know, she’s been acting odd lately.”

“Maybe Alex knows.”

Sophina and Lauretta sit down with me.

“I don’t know what’s up with Scarlett,” I say before they open their mouths. They look disappointed.

“At least I know it’s not just me,” I say, “maybe something’s going on at home.”

“Nah, Carma would know,” Lauretta says, “I wish I knew though. She’s been acting so weird. She hasn’t been running or joking or anything Scarlett usually does.”

I shrug and push my food away, suddenly, I’m not so hungry anymore.

“Maybe it is something at home,” Sophina says, “I mean, Scarlett was there the whole time. Maybe something happened while Carma was with us.”

“You don’t think it’s about Quidditch do you?” I ask, “the whole Katie thing?”

“Could be,” Lauretta says hesitantly, “but somehow, I don’t think so.”

Sophina sighs and shakes her head.

“That girl is a mystery.”