Chapter 81

**Alex's POV**

"Al, are you pregnant?"

My mouth falls open.

"Pr-pregnant?" I gasp, "no! No way."

I shake my head.

"No, no, no," I stammer, "no way."

Scarlett gets up and walks over to me, looking serious.

"Were you safe?" she asks quietly.

"Safe? I... Um," I look at the floor, "no? No..."

"Well, think about," she says, "morning sickness, swollen stomach. . . When did you have your last period?"

"Uh, let me check," I say, hurrying over to where I keep my calendar. I flip back a month and nearly vomit. I flip back another month and then another. When I look up Scarlett is watching me with raised eyebrows.

"I can't," I whisper, "Scarlett, I can't."

 Scarlett gives me a quick hug.

"Well, there's one way to find out," she says, "come on, we're going into town."

She ducks under her bed and pulls out a small, tin box.

"What's in there?" I ask.

"Muggle money," she says, pulling out a handful of notes. We shrug into our jackets and walk downstairs. The boys are still asleep and the kitchen is empty, so Scarlett scrawls a quick note saying we've gone into London for a few hours and we leave. We disapparate to a small alleyway. Scarlett leads me into a small shop. The cashier raises her head as we come in, then returns to her magazines. Scarlett walks down the aisle and stops infront of a shelf full of pregnancy tests.

I feel like throwing up again.

She looks at two brands, then picks two in blue boxes.

"Why do we need two?" I ask, "are you-"

"Just in case," she says, "in case one is faulty."

"What if they're both faulty?"

"Not very likely," she shrugs, "come on, let's get this over and done with."

She gets two bottles of water and heads to the cashier. The cashier looks at the pregnancy tests and raises her eyebrows. I feel my cheeks heat up and look at the floor.

"Thanks," Scarlett says as she takes the bag. She leads me down the road to a park. Outside the public toilets she hands me one of the tests.

"I'll be over at that table," she says, "don't take forever."

I duck into a stall and read the instructions. Seems simple enough.

Except I can't pee in public toilets.

I know this sounds crazy, but I can't go to the toilet when I think someone else can hear. I don't know why that it, but if I so much suspect anyone is around, everything stops.

I take a few deep breaths and pretend I'm at home in the little upstairs bathroom with the pink tiles and elephant towels.

And the floodgates open.

Scarlett is braiding her hair when I come out. She hands me the bottles of water.

"Drink up," she says, "once you've finished those, go and take the second one, we'll look at them at the same time."

I drink the water, feeling suddenly thirsty. By the time I've finished the second one I need to pee, which is good because stage fright doesn't seem to matter as much.