Chapter 40

**Alex’s POV**

The next few months pass in a flash and all of a sudden the exams are on us.

“Test me,” I order Fred, pushing my Charms book towards him.

“Lex, we’ve already done Charms,” he says, “besides, it’s lunch. Can’t we have ten minutes where we’re not studying?”

“FRED! These are our OWLs!” I exclaim, fishing around for my Defence book, “test me!”

“Alex, I’m sick of studying,” he complains, “I want to go outside!”

“Fred, we have half an hour until our Defence exam! We have to revise!”

“I’m with Fred on this,” Scarlett says, sitting down, “I’m so over study. I’m ready for summer.”

“And the World Cup,” George agrees, sitting down next to her, “you’re coming, right?”

“Duh, like I’d miss that,” she laughs, “I can’t wait.”

“You’ll have to,” I interrupt, “we still have four exams! Including potions practical!”

“Wow, someone’s stressed out,” Scarlett smirks, “Fred, you need to go bang her. Release some tension.”

Fred’s cheeks flame red and I glare at Scarlett.

“Unlike you,” I snarl, “I’m not a slut. I don’t sleep with a guy just because we’ve been dating for a day! I have self-respect.”

I gather my books and stalk off, fuming. I sit down outside and open my book to the werewolf page and begin trying to memorise how to recognise it from a true wolf. A shadow falls over me and I look up to see Fred standing there.

“What?” I snap.

“That was low,” he replies, his voice calm and level, “saying that about Scarlett.”

“Well, it’s true,” I say, going back to my book.

“No, it’s not.”

I ignore Fred and try to focus on the werewolf.

“Alex, I think we should take a break.”

“The exam starts in less than half an hour,” I point out, “I’m not taking a break!”

“Not from study,” Fred says, “I mean from us.”

I look up at him. He’s looking strangely serious.

“You’re dumping me?” I ask.

“I just think the stress-”

“I don’t care,” I interrupt angrily, “I don’t care! I’d prefer to be single than deal with you anyway!”

“Deal with me?” Fred asks, his voice losing calm for the first time, “you’re ‘dealing with me’?”

“Yeah,” I say, standing up, “I have to deal with you. I have to deal with you never being serious, never being able to have a conversation that doesn’t end with you dashing off with Scarlett. Why don’t you just date her? You obviously care about her more than me!”

Fred stares at me for a moment and then shakes his head.

“You’re jealous of Scarlett?” he asks, “you’re actually jealous of her?”

“Who wouldn’t be?” I ask, “she has everything. She gets attention from all the boys, she has a twin sister, everyone looks up to her. What do I have? A boyfriend who prefers one of my friends.”