Chapter 20

**Alex’s POV**

“Congratulations,” Scarlett says, sitting down at the breakfast table, “you’ve made the team!”

I exchange a glance with Sophina.

“Great,” she sighs, “I’m going to go tell Henry… He’ll be pleased…”

“You’re excited, right, Al?” Scarlett asks.

“Oh, yeah,” I lie, “I’m so psyched.”

Scarlett grins.

“That’s the spirit!” she says, “we’re handing out uniforms at practice tonight.”

“I thought the Quidditch team were practicing tonight?” Carma asks.

“They are,” Lauretta says, joining us, “we’re sharing the pitch with them. It’s not a problem, since they’ll be in the air and we’ll be on the ground.”

“I can hardly contain my delight,” I mutter.

“Scarlett, it’s raining,” I complain as she marches us as well as two fifth years, three fourth years, two second years and a first year through the castle.

“The Quidditch team are still training,” she points out, “so we can too.”

We slosh through the mud to the Quidditch pitch. Scarlett and Lauretta hand out our uniforms and we change. Everyone is shivering except for Lauretta and Scarlett. They lead us out onto the pitch and we stand, out feet covered in mud, watching the Quidditch team fly around above us.

“We’ll start with a warm up!” Scarlett calls over the rain, “a lap of the pitch then twenty push-ups.”

“She’s not serious?” I yell to Carma.

“Apparently so,” she replies as Scarlett and Lauretta begin running.

“It should be noted!” I call as I start to run, “that this is the first time I’ve ever worn a skirt!”

“You have shorts under it!” Sophina yells back, “it doesn’t count!”

“Still!”

We slosh through the mud. It sprays up our legs. By the time we’ve completed the lap we’re covered in mud.

“Twenty push ups!” Lauretta yells.

“You’re kidding!” I protest, “we’ll drown!”

She and Scarlett are already doing their push ups. I sigh and get down in the mud. I don’t even know if I can do twenty push ups. When I’ve done only five my hair falls out of its ponytail straight into the mud.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I growl to myself.

“Okay, on your feet!” Scarlett calls. I clamber to my feet, nearly every inch of me covered in mud.

“This is like boot camp,” Sophina gasps.

“We’re turning in!” Oliver yells to Scarlett, “it’s too wet!”

“Here, here!” Carma agrees loudly. Scarlett ignores them both.

“We’ll keep going,” she says, “come on, let’s practice some dancing!”

“I hate my life,” I scowl, walking back to Gryffindor tower with Carma and Sophina. We’re all smothered in mud, freezing and exhausted.