Chapter 9

**Scarlett’s POV**

“I like your hair like that,” Adam says. I look up from the essay I’m writing and smile.

“Thanks,” I reply, “I call it my couldn’t-be-bothered look.”

“It’s a good look,” he laughs.

The portrait hole opens and Alex and Tobias climb through. I watch them sit on the couch, close together. Alex looks bored and Tobias can’t keep his eyes on her face.

“What is with that?” I ask Adam, nodding towards them. He glances over and rolls his eyes.

“She has the biggest boobs out of you girls, according to Tobias,” Adam replies, “he’s such a perv.”

“We’re thirteen,” I point out, “we don’t even have boobs!”

Adam laughs.

“Yeah, well, it’s Tobias,” he shrugs, “I just don’t know why Alex puts up with him.”

“Me neither,” I say, watching them. Tobias is lying with his head in Alex’s lap and she’s playing with his hair. This isn’t such an unusual thing, but they keep kissing, which is weird.

“Revolting, isn’t it?” Fred asks, sitting down with George.

“Hmm,” I reply noncommittally.

“Sickening,” George says, shaking his head.

“Do I sense some jealousy from you, George Weasley?” I tease. He laughs and shakes his head.

“The idea of having someone else’s saliva in my mouth isn’t very appealing,” he replies, “besides, look at them. Purring over each other. Give me independence any day.”

“You’re just afraid of commitment,” I tell him.

“No, I’m not,” he says, “I just don’t see the point in dating.”

“So you’re just going to be single all your life?”

“I didn’t say that-”

“So, you’re more of a one-night-stand guy?”

“No, what I meant was-”

“What would you do if you met a girl you really liked?” I ask over the top of him, “would you just ignore her?”

“No, but I wouldn’t want to sit around kissing her all the time,” he says quickly before I can interrupt.

“So, you’d just treat her like a friend?”

“Well, yeah, until I was ready to-”

“And what if she wanted to sit around kissing you?”

“Then I suppose she’d have to wait-”

“Really? You’d make her wait for you?”

“Well, there’s no point if I’m not-”

“You’re going to end up old and alone,” I tell him. I know I’m making him mad, but I can’t help myself.

“NO I’M NOT!” he yells, finally cracking, “IF YOU’D SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME-”

“I heard you clearly,” I say calmly, “you’d make her wait even if she liked you. And you will end up alone because no girl in her right mind would wait for you.”

George glares at me for a moment and then seizes my ink pot and empties it over my head.

“You’re a cow,” he spits, storming out. Adam hands me his handkerchief and I mop up my face.