Chapter 48

**Scarlett’s POV**

“McGonagall said we have to have at least one of us with her at all times,” Carma says as we walk to the Hospital Wing to see Alex, “and we have to make sure she’s eating. If she’s not we have to see McGonagall or Madame Pomfrey straight away.”

“What’re we supposed to say to Alex?” Fred asks.

“I don’t know,” I sigh, wrapping my arm around his shoulders.

“I guess we just act normally,” Alicia suggests timidly.

We reach the doors of the hospital wing and stop.

“Maybe Fred should go in first,” I suggest.

“Not alone,” he shakes his head, “you and I can go in.”

“Alright,” I agree, “ready?”

“Nope.”

“Me neither.”

We push the doors open and walk in. I can feel Fred trembling beside me. Alex is lying on her side playing with a loose thread on the blanket. She looks up as we approach and smiles, sitting up.

“Finally,” she says, “apparently I have to stay here for a week. Can you believe that?”

“Actually, yeah, I can,” I say hesitantly, sitting on the end of the bed, “Alex, you’re… You look like you’ve lost a lot of weight.”

Alex rolls her eyes.

“Over night?” she asks, “not likely.”

“No, Alex,” I shake my head, “you look… You haven’t been eating, have you?”

“Uh, I think I’d die without food,” she replies.

“I think you have anorexia,” I say bluntly.

“Excuse me?” she cries, frowning. I glance at Fred who is staring at the floor. Big lot of help he is.

“When was the last time you ate?” I ask her.

“Like, ten minutes ago,” she shrugs, “why?”

“Then why is your stomach grumbling?” I ask, “I haven’t seen you eat since term began and some of last term either.”

“Scarlett, really?” Alex asks, “I’m not like that. I don’t care how I look!”

“You know that you’re beautiful, right?” Fred asks, “no matter what, I think you’re beautiful.”

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” Alex quotes in a low tone, “what’s with this ganging up on me?”

“We’re not ganging up on you,” I sigh, “we want to help you.”

“Well I don’t need help!” she yells.

“Okay,” I say, backing off, “well, how’re you feeling? What happened yesterday?”

“I tripped,” Alex sighs, leaning against the wall behind her bed, “and knocked the mirror off.”

That’s a lie if I ever heard one.

“What did you trip on?” I ask casually. Alex pauses for a moment.

“A pair of shoes,” she answers.

“Funny, I don’t remember seeing any shoes when I found you,” I comment, looking at my finger nails.

“I must have knocked them away,” Alex says through gritted teeth.

“Must have,” I smile, “well, I’ll leave you two alone.”

“I want to be alone,” Alex says. Fred looks hurt but he follows me out. Once the doors close behind us I pull him into a tight hug. I feel George wrap his arms around us and in no time we’re having a group hug. The only thing it’s missing is Alex.

**Alex’s POV**

After Fred and Scarlett leave I walk into the bathroom and lock the door. I stand in front of the mirror and lift up my shirt. For the first time I actually see myself. I run my fingers over my exposed ribs and my sunken stomach. This isn’t me, this is one of those models who don’t eat more than 100 calories a day.

I walk out and sit back on my bed. Madame Pomfrey brings my lunch over for me and waits to watch me eat it.

I guess this is the first step on the road to recovery.