Chapter 2

Nick

My head hurt pretty bad & my body felt like I was in a train wreck, but I was used to this kind of pain, since I was a fighter. I was glad the doctor said I'd probably get my memories back. I remembered talking to Demi right before I went to the ring, for my final round with Wilmer, but I didn't remember anything after that. I assumed Wilmer knocked me out, but I couldn't remember the details. Even my memories before that were still fuzzy. It was like I was watching a movie from a far distance & needed glasses to see it clearly.

After the doctor left, Demi came to my bedside. "I really appreciate you being here. You don't have to stay. I know you have a life to get back to." My swollen lip made me sound a little funny, but Demi seemed to understand me just fine.

"I'm not leaving Vegas until you're out of the hospital. Besides, I have no where to be for the next few days. I'm not in a hurry to get to my lonely hotel room, anyway." Demi shrugged. I had to admit, I was touched Demi wanted to stay in town while I was in the hospital. I hoped I wasn't here that long.

"Well, I'm just going to sleep, so you can go to your hotel & go sleep, too

"Well, I'm just going to sleep, so you can go to your hotel & go sleep, too. Might as well get your money's worth."

Demi looked away, seeming like she was disappointed or sad. "Are you sure? I can stay if you want. It's not a big deal."

"Demi, you can go to your hotel, get some sleep & visit me tomorrow. The doctor thinks I'll be out in a day or so if there aren't any complications. Besides, you don't want to watch me sleep." I laughed, then grimaced because it hurt.

"You okay?"

"Yea. It just hurts to laugh." I smiled, then flinched because that hurt, too. "I guess it hurts to do anything. Good thing you're not my girlfriend, anymore. I'd be useless for a while."

She grinned. "I doubt that." She sighed then opened her mouth like she wanted to say something, but she clamped her mouth shut, quickly. She must have changed her mind. "Anyway, I'm glad you're okay. I'll be by in the morning. Is there anything you need me to bring?"

I shook my head a little. "I'll ask Jay to bring me my clothes & that's all I really need. I'll see you in the morning then."

Demi nodded as she turned to leave. "Bye. Sleep well." Demi walked out the door & I felt myself missing her, a moment later. I was really tired, probably from the drugs they had me on. I fell asleep & didn't even wake up when nurses came in to do my vitals. I only woke up when Jay started shouting my name. My eyes opened, slowly & I felt even more sore than I had the night before. I looked down at my arms because they hurt so bad & saw a big bruise on each arm, just above my elbow crease. I was confused by them so Jay cleared it up.

"Wilmer put his knees on your arms to keep you from fighting back while he pounded on your face." Jay said, sounding really bitter. "I swear to God, I want to kill that fucking asshole." Jay sat in the chair & propped his feet up on my bed.