Chapter 29

Demi

As soon as I heard Jay's voice, I thought we were safe. I started to move toward Nick, to hold onto him, but Delta must have panicked, seeing me move, because she aimed the gun at me & fired. Nick grabbed my arm & pulled me behind him, just as the bullet hit him. I saw him go down, his body hitting the floor hard & for a moment, all I could do was scream. I was frozen with fear & shock. I looked at Delta, who looked like she was also in shock. She turned & ran toward the back of the gym. A small part of me wanted to chase her & strangle her until she was dead, but I couldn't leave Nick. 

Nick. I looked at him as he laid on the cold, hard, floor, his eyes closed, looking lifeless. I heard Jay yelling Nick's name & I ran to kneel down beside Nick. I put my hands on his chest & shouted at him. "Nick! Can you hear me? Don't you dare leave me, Nicholas." I moved to check his wound, sucking in my breath when I saw all the blood. "Jay! He's bleeding so much." I glanced up at Jay & saw him & Ryan standing there, staring down at us. Jay was in shock, but Ryan was already calling 911. "JAY!" I screamed to get his attention. He looked down at me. "Get some towels to help me stop the bleeding." I knew, in my head, that we weren't going to be able to stop the bleeding, but I knew, in my heart, that I had to try. I had to do something to help the man I love. I couldn't let him die. When Jay wasn't moving fast enough, I screamed his name, again, even louder.

 When Jay wasn't moving fast enough, I screamed his name, again, even louder

Jay turned & ran off to get some towels. I touched Nick's head, softly, trying not to let my tears fall on his face. "You're gonna be fine, babe. Can you hear me?" I asked, as a sob came out, before I could stop it. Jay came to my side, carrying several towels. He placed them on Nick's middle & I put them over Nick's wound. "Jay I need you to keep pressure on his wound. Do not lighten the pressure until the medics get here." I was trying to stay calm & remember some of the training I did while I was in school. I needed to keep his body from going into shock, so I took the other towels & started covering his body. I got up & went to Nick's feet, grabbing a small bench on my way. I propped Nick's feet up, then went back to his head, wondering where that ambulance was. "Nick, it's Demi. If you can hear me, you're going to be okay. The ambulance is on its way. I love you. I'm going to stay with you, for as long as they let me." I touched his forehead, then leaned to kiss it, tenderly. "Don't you dare leave me to raise this baby alone, Nick." I whispered into his ear. 

"Delta's gone. I tried to find which way she went, but saw no sign of her. The ambulance is close. I heard the sirens when I was outside." Ryan said, breathlessly, as he came into sight. I didn't even realize he had left, to go after Delta. "Did he wake up?" He asked, dropping to his knees beside Nick's legs, next to Jay, who looked scared as hell. 

I shook my head, looking down at Nick's features as I ran my hand over them. I traced the freckles on his face, wiping my tears with my other hand. "Baby, you need to open your eyes. I need you to see me. I need to see your eyes. Please, baby, wake up." I pleaded, touching his chin. He didn't open his eyes, so I let out a sob.