Chapter 21

Demi

I was a little groggy as I looked around the top of my dresser for my stun gun, that had fallen out of my purse a few weeks before & I kept forgetting to put it back. I heard Nick walking down the hall, since every other floorboard squeaked some. I found the gun then hurried to catch up with Nick, who was standing behind a wall, in case the person went to the window to look in. I showed him the stun gun & he snatched it from my hand. I couldn't help but chuckle under my breath. "You afraid I'll accidentally shoot you?" I asked in a whisper, covering my mouth so I wouldn't laugh out loud. I felt anxious, but for some reason I wasn't scared.

He rolled his eyes, a slight smirk on his mouth. "Maybe." He put his finger up to his mouth to quiet me, when we heard the screen door open again. There was a soft knock on the door & I relaxed a little.

"Someone who wanted to hurt us wouldn't knock, would they?" I hissed as I gripped his arm.

He shrugged his shoulders & smirked, looking adorable, then took a step toward the door. "Who's there?" Nick asked, in a, deeper than normal, voice.

"Nick, it's your dad." I heard Alvey say. 

Both Nick & I let out a relieved breath as Nick tossed the gun on a nearby table, then he opened the door. "Dad. What are you doing here at this hour?"

"I ran into Wilmer at the arena last night & he told me what happened

"I ran into Wilmer at the arena last night & he told me what happened. I couldn't sleep because I was so worried. I had to make sure you guys were okay. I went by your place this morning & after fifteen minutes of banging on the door, Jay finally woke up & said you weren't there. I told him what happened & he's not happy, either. He said you were probably here & his girlfriend gave me the address." Alvey explained, then Nick opened the door wider & Alvey came in. When he saw me, he looked relieved. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, quickly. "Yea. Wilmer & Nick got to me in time. I'm fine. I wasn't hurt." I wondered if Jay had told Alvey that I was pregnant, but I think he would have said something already. Instead he turned back to Nick. "You want some coffee?" I asked & he glanced at me then gave me a nod. I headed to the kitchen & turned on the Keurig, as Nick & his dad followed. Alvey sat at the dining room table & sighed, sounding frustrated.

"I'm glad neither of you were hurt." Alvey said, then ran his hand over his mouth. "Wilmer told me that it was Chuck who sent those guys after you."