Chapter 16

Nick

I couldn't get out of that gym fast enough, honestly. I wanted to go into Chuck's office & grab him by the throat, then pound his face into the hard cement floor. My dad was right about him. He didn't give a shit about anybody or anything. All he cared about was money. I got in my car, not even wanting to drive it now since it had been given to me to drive by Chuck. But, if I was going to scour California trying to find a female fighter, I was going to need a car.

I drove around for awhile, stopping whenever I saw a gym. I was having no luck with finding a female fighter, let alone one with a great lineage. I kept at it, though, the entire day & eventually went home, because most gyms were getting ready to close, since it was Saturday night. I didn't have to work that night & I was trying not to think about why I had the night off. I had requested it off so I could take Demi out for our first date of the year. Since our New Year's eve was going to be spent with friends, I wanted to take her out so we could be alone & have a nice, romantic date.

I got home & was relieved that Jay wasn't there. I just wanted to be alone, honestly. I didn't want to deal with anyone or anything. I just wanted to drink a beer, in my backyard, listening to the sounds of the city. I forced myself to eat some cold pizza, then washed it down with a beer before grabbing a bunch more bottles & headed out to the backyard.

I sat there, looking up at the stars, thinking about my life & what I wanted to do with my future

I sat there, looking up at the stars, thinking about my life & what I wanted to do with my future. I had a child coming into this world, which changed everything. I pulled out the pregnancy test, from my hoodie pocket & stared at it as I sipped my beer. I had seen it that morning when I was getting dressed & for some reason, I stuck it in my pocket. I pulled it out a few times that day, actually, trying to comprehend what was really happening. Demi was pregnant & I was still shocked as hell. Now, not only was I shocked, but I was worried. I didn't want her to fight & if I couldn't find anyone to take her place, she would have to. I tossed the plastic strip on the table & sighed. Why did I even care? If she lost the baby, it would make things easier. I shook my head, angry at myself for thinking that thought, at all. It was a baby. My baby. I was going to be a father & surprisingly I already cared about this baby.

Inhaling deeply, I leaned my head back again, thinking about what it would be like to be a father. I imagined a girl & that freaked me out, to be honest. I didn't know what to do with a girl. I wasn't girly at all. I didn't even have a sister until I was in high school & I wasn't close to Harley. My mom wasn't even that girly when I was growing up. She wore dresses sometimes, but most of the time, she wore jeans & t-shirts. She played cars or Legos with me & Jay. She even loved manly sports. I had no idea what I would do with a little girl. I thought if I had a boy, then I could at least have something to offer it.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't hear my brother approach me until he was moving the chair on the other side of the table. I looked up as he sat down, giving me an eyebrow raise as he held a beer up, then took a swig. "What's going on little brother?"