Chapter 22

Nick

I watched Demi disappear inside the house, Carter following her & I know I told her I trusted her, but the truth is, a small part of me couldn't stop thinking about them being alone. I kept picturing him kissing her, even though I hadn't witnessed it. I was sitting at the picnic table, nursing a beer, when Jay came to sit by me. "Do you trust your girlfriend, little brother?" He asked, leaning on his arms. My brother knew me so well that he didn't need to hear what my problem was. He could tell just by reading my expressions or my body language.

I made a face as I lifted the beer to my lips. "Of course."

"So... you aren't picturing him trying to kiss her? Or her giving him a goodbye kiss? Maybe the kiss gets passionate & they lay down on your bed...."

I started to fake laugh. "Oh you're so funny." I stopped laughing & my face turned serious. "Shut the fuck up, man."

Jay smirked, then something caught his eye & he started hollering. I looked to where he was watching as he stood up. I saw Lisa & Ryan coming into the yard, so I stood up & hugged them both. They sat with us a moment later, at the picnic table & Ryan placed a bottle of overpriced tequila in between us. "We doing some shots?" He asked, smiling. It was good to see him smile again & I glanced at Lisa, across from me. She was nodding & I gave her a peculiar eyebrow raise.

"Relax. I'll toast but one of you can take my shot." She chuckled. Jay looked at her sideways, so she tilted her head. "I'm pregnant." She explained with a hand wave.

"Whoah! What?" Jay exclaimed as he stood up to hug Lisa, then Ryan before he sat back down. "Holy shit. There are gonna be babies all over this place pretty soon." He said then took a drink of his beer.

"What do you mean? We're only having one." Ryan chuckled as he opened the bottle.

I glared at Jay, who looked guilty, as he replied. "I'm drunk. I don't know what the fuck I'm saying."

Ryan was looking at me & he must have seen something with the way Jay & I looked at each other. "Dude. Is Demi...?" His voice trailed off.

Lisa perked up, looking back & forth between us. "Is Demi what?"

I sighed, heavily, glaring at Jay. "Yes." I mumbled, looking over at Ryan. "But don't tell anyone. We haven't told our parents yet."

Lisa covered her mouth as she gasped. "Demi's pregnant?" She asked behind her hand, her eyes darting around, nervously.

"Yes." I muttered.

"Oh my God... our kids are gonna play together!" She practically shouted.

All together, Jay, Ryan & I shushed her & she clamped her hand over her mouth. "Baby, you have such a big mouth." Ryan smirked, rolling his eyes. "I'm going to go in & get some shot glasses. Be right back." Ryan said as he stood up.

Jay held up a shot glass & laughed. "He must not have seen these sitting here." He started pouring tequila into the tiny glasses, then the three of us held them up, touching them to each other. "To my brother who kicked Wilmer's ass last night & who is going to be an amazing father one day."

"