Chapter 5

Demi

After finishing up with my client, I pulled out my phone and sent Nick a quick text message. I was curious to hear about his appointment, since I wasn't able to go this time. "Hey Handsome. How'd your appointment go?" I wrote and then clicked send. I sat there, at my desk, and waited for Nick to text me back. He took a few minutes, but soon enough my phone was lighting up.

"Fine. Will talk to you about it later," Nick responded very subtle. I sat there and read his text a few times. I was a little confused on why he was being so short. Maybe things didn't go as planned. I wonder if something happened? Clearly he wasn't going to talk about it over text. I checked my watch and let out a sigh. My mom was wanting me to come over to her house for dinner since I haven't been around much. She knew what happened between Wilmer and I, so she assured me that Wilmer wouldn't be around, which is the only reason why I agreed to it. Since I wasn't going to have time to go see Nick and check on him, I figured I could do it when after. I started to text him back.

"Hope everything turned out ok. I am going to my mom's for dinner, but I will come over after that is finished. I love you," I typed out and then clicked send. I waited for a few minutes for Nick to text me back, but he never did, which only made me more concerned. I was hoping this dinner would go by quickly, so that I could get over to make sure Nick was okay.

I threw my phone in my bag, changed my clothes, ran a brush through my hair, before I grabbed my keys, and headed over to my moms house. When I got there, I made my way inside, and stopped when I saw who was standing there, in the dining room. "Wilmer," I said under my breath, as I stood there, and glared over at my mom. Naturally, she pretended to be completely clueless, just sitting there, shrugging her shoulders like she had no idea he would be there. I rolled my eyes and walked over to hug my mom. "Why is he here?" I whispered into her ear, as I hugged her.

"Oh, Demi. He just wants a chance. Please be nice. When he heard you were coming over, he said he wanted to come and spend time with the family. He misses us all together," she said as she looked over at Wilmer and smiled softly. I rolled my eyes and just shook my head. "Now, go sit. Dinner's almost ready," she said as she tapped my back, and walked away.

"Fine," I said as I walked over and sat down at the table. I watched as Wilmer sat across from me, and tried to make eye contact with me, but I quickly looked away. My mom soon brought out the food, and eventually we were all digging in. While we sat around the table, we all talked about what has been happening in life. I listened as Wilmer talked about how he was going to be working with Alvey, and how he was working on himself. This dinner was important to my mom, so I made sure to play nice, and acknowledge Wilmer, even if it was the last thing I wanted to do.

After dinner, we sat around and talked for a little while, until I saw how late it was getting. I told them I needed to get going because I had plans with Nick. I said goodbye, and hugged them all, including Wilmer, and then I proceeded out the door. I was so ready to get out of this house, I wanted to just be with Nick.

While walking to my car, I heard the door open. "Hey, Demi, wait," Wilmer yelled out. I turned around and saw as he jogged over to me.

"Wilmer, don't" I said as I stuck out my arm to send him away, and continued on to my car. Wilmer, gently, grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"Demi, please. I want to make this right with us. I miss you so much. I miss our friendship, and I am sick of you hating me. I feel so guilty like this is all my fault, and-"

Hearing Wilmer speak, just made me even more irritated. "Wilmer! This is your fault!! You know how sensitive I am with the fighting world, and YOU almost took someone, so important to me, away! YOU did this! YOU are the one who tried to physically harm someone because of what I had with that person. Not only were you trying to hurt him, but you were trying to hurt me! ME, WILMER, ME!" I shouted, as my eyes started to get watery, just thinking about to the incident in the cage.