Chapter 7

Demi

I heard Nick breathing while I put on my shoes & he sounded like he was trying to calm himself down, so I looked up. He was staring at the ceiling, biting on his lip, and his eyebrows were together in deep concentration. I stood up, keeping my eyes on him as I put my hands on my waist, waiting for him to speak. Finally, he cleared his throat. "What do you mean I can't fight Carter?" He asked as he sat up to lean on his arm.

I shook my head, in disbelief. "Uh... I mean you can't fight Carter. It's absurd. You will kill him." I let out a chuckle as I walked around the bed to my dresser.

I heard Nick get out of bed, then a few minutes later, I saw him behind me in the mirror when I looked up, now wearing a shirt, instead of the tank top he had on in bed. "I wouldn't kill him." He said as if he thought I was literal with my words.

I smirked at him in the reflection. "I know you won't actually kill him, but, Nick..." I turned around to face him. "You're a trained fighter, who's been in countless fights & fought countless men & some of them I'm sure you've injured pretty good. Carter isn't like those other guys. He just started working out in a gym a few months ago, if that. He was just cleared to resume normal activities, after his shoulder injury. You can't think it's going to be a fair fight." I let out a short laugh as I smiled up at him. He seemed so intense, I wanted to try to get him to relax.

"First of all, we're boxing, so it's totally different. We'll be wearing equipment on our heads so we can't really get too hurt & we'll have boxing gloves on. They are different from MMA gloves. They're padded more. Second of all, Carter has been training a lot & will continue to train over the next few weeks & he's a big boy. He can take care of himself. He doesn't need you trying to protect him." Nick gave me an eye roll before he turned to walk toward the bed. I watched as he put his shirt on & realized he was mad at me.

"I'm sorry if I made you mad." I said, quietly, then stuck my lip out when he glanced my way.

Nick sat on the bed and leaned on his knees before running his hands over his head. "Do you really think I would hurt him that bad? I mean do you think I'm that kind of person? You think I would hurt him knowing how much he means to you?" Nick asked in a low voice, sounding a little sad.

"Not intentionally, even though, you've been pretty upset with him lately

"Not intentionally, even though, you've been pretty upset with him lately." I let out a laugh, but stopped when I saw Nick wasn't amused. "I know you wouldn't hurt him, Nick. I'm just worried he's getting in over his head with this. I'll talk to him today & tell him this is crazy & he should see if there is another person who can fight you." I smiled at Nick, but he didn't return the gesture. Instead he looked straight ahead, a look of annoyance on his face. "What? What's that look for?"

He sighed, then, glanced down at the floor between his feet. "You're just so concerned about him. Protective. Maybe you should let him make his own decisions about his own life. He's a doctor for Christ's sake. He doesn't need you to tell him what to do, Demi." Nick sighed as he stood up.