Chapter 18

Nick

Seeing Carter leaning on the wall by Demi's front door, waiting to go inside, was like a punch to the gut. It was clear that he was why she didn't want to hang out with me. She had to get back here since he was waiting for her. Of course, I assumed she lied, to me, about not having had talked to him since New year's. I turned to get back in my car, but Demi ran to stop me, by pushing the car door shut. "Nick, I know you think I lied. But, I swear, this is the first time I have seen him since New Year's. He was here when I got home."

I looked at her face, trying to figure out if she was telling the truth. Carter walked toward us & we both turned to look at him. If I wasn't fighting in a few weeks for a championship, I would have punched him, right then & there. "She's telling the truth. I haven't talked to her since New Year's. She hasn't returned my calls or my texts, which is why I figured I'd come over to say this in person. I'm actually glad you're here, too." He waved his hand in my direction & I leaned on my car, crossing my arms. "I know I apologized, to you, at the gym the other day & I know you were pissed off & I don't blame ya, but I have to apologize again. I really am sorry & Demi, I am sorry for kissing you that night & then for telling Nick about it. I was drunk & I know that's not an excuse, but I wouldn't have made such a dick move, if I had been sober. Anyway, I hope you both can accept my apology & I want you to know that I won't be an issue for you two, pretty soon."

I saw Demi lift her head, quickly to look at him & she looked confused. "What do you mean?"

"I got a job offer in Boston. I got the call the other day that a position opened up in an Alzheimer's clinic of their major hospital & I'll be moving there at the end of the month."

I wanted to do a happy dance right there in Demi's front yard, but I didn't want to look like an asshole. Instead, I stuck my hand out & he shook it. "Congratulations, man. I accept your apology & I wish you the best." I said, trying not to sound too gleeful. I looked down at Demi, though & my heart sank, since she looked upset. 

"You're not leaving because of what happened with us, are you?"

Carter shook his head, quickly. "No. I sent in my resume almost a year ago. It's just good timing, I guess. Maybe one day, after you've forgiven me, we can be friends again." He looked down at her & I wanted to punch him. "Anyway, are you two back together?" He asked, watching her face, closely.

 "Anyway, are you two back together?" He asked, watching her face, closely

"No." I answered, quickly & Demi shook her head. "We're just trying to be civil. Being friends. We'll see what happens."

"Well, I hope you guys can work things out. You're a good guy, Nick & I know how happy you make her & that's all I want for her. Treat her well." Carter said, then looked at Demi, who looked like she might cry. "I will leave you two alone... & maybe with me out of the way, you'll be able to get back together real soon." He put his hand on Demi's upper arm. "I'm not moving until the end of the month, so maybe I'll see you around. Bye Dem." He said & she threw her arms around him. I had to glance away, because even seeing her in his arms, brought back the visual of them kissing, even if I didn't see it, I still imagined it. "See ya later, Nick & good luck at King Beast. I'm gonna try to go since I'll be in town, but just in case I don't make it... good luck. Kill Wilmer!" He put his fist up & laughed, so I smiled.