Chapter 30

Nick

When I opened my eyes & saw Delta standing beside me, at first, I thought I was dreaming. Delta was staring over me, at Demi, I presumed, then she started to walk away, but I grabbed her wrist. I don't even know why I grabbed her, honestly, but I did & she looked shocked when she saw me holding onto her. Her gaze lifted to look into my eyes & we stared at each other for several moments, before she spoke.

"I'm glad you're okay." She whispered, in a shaky voice. "I'm sorry you got shot."

"You mean you're sorry you shot him instead of me?" Demi asked, in an accusatory voice as she stepped up to the opposite side of the bed. 

"I didn't mean to pull the trigger." Delta said to Demi, her voice louder, but just as shaky.

"You raised that fucking gun." Demi said through clenched teeth. "That was intentional."

"I know, but I really didn't mean to pull the trigger. I swear."

"It doesn't matter. You're going to prison. Maybe you can share a cell with your dad." Demi was angry & I was worried about her. "And you'd be getting off easy because every part of me wants to kill you for shooting him."

"Demi... calm down please." I said, in a soft voice.

"Nick... she shot you & then showed up in your room." Demi muttered at me, then turned to look at Delta. "What the hell are you doing here? Did you come to finish him off?" Demi snarled at Delta. 

Delta shook her head

Delta shook her head. "No... I wanted to make sure he was okay & I wanted to make sure he knew that I didn't mean to shoot anyone."

"I know you didn't." I replied. 

"I hope you can forgive me." Delta pleaded, with me, ignoring Demi's cold stare. 

"I forgive you." I answered, without hesitation.

"She shot you & only because she was trying to shoot me & our baby, but you forgive her?" Demi nearly yelled at me, her eyes darting back & forth between me & Delta. 

I let go of Delta's wrist & looked at Demi, then sighed, feeling a little frustrated. "I was watching when it all went down & I could tell it was an accident. Not intentional. It was a reaction. And it's easier on your soul to forgive people, instead of holding on to the hate. I'm alive & you weren't hurt... so yes, I forgive her."

Delta touched my arm, gently. "Thank you. That makes me feel better. You have no idea what that means to me. I can.... Now be at peace...." Her voice trailed off & I felt like she was speaking about being at peace, like she was planning on ending her life. She took a few steps away from the bed, then the door opened & the nurse came in.

"You rang the call button?" The nurse asked & before we could respond, Delta took off, out the door. 

"That's the woman who shot him. Call the police. Call security & have them lock all the doors." Demi shouted taking steps toward the nurse, who looked confused. "She's getting away." Demi started walking toward the door & I tried to sit up, quickly, then realized I couldn't do that, in my current state. The pain ripped through my middle & I cried out, so loud, in agony, that Demi turned toward me. "Nick!" She called out as she ran back to the bed.