Chapter 20

Nick

I was on cloud 9 as I went to pick up my belts & my money. Not only was I thrilled I won, but also relieved that Demi came out of her fight unscathed. As I was heading to the offices, I ran into my dad, who I assumed was coming from talking to some of his buddies that worked the event that night. He smiled when he saw me, then put his hands on my shoulders. "I can't even explain how proud I am of you, son." He said. "No offense to Wilmer, but I was hoping you'd win."

"Thanks, Dad."

"I heard you're coming back to Navy Street." 

"I am. You were right about Chuck & I'm sorry I didn't believe ya."

Dad scowled, leaning back to get a good look at me. "Did something happen with him? Should I be worried?"

"He was threatening Demi & insinuated that Delta needed to win. I kind of threatened him & he warned me that that wasn't a good idea."

Dad put his hand on my neck so I could look at him, closely. "That isn't a good idea, Son. That man does not take threats lightly & I should know. I threatened him once back when we were young fighters & the next thing I knew, my car was trashed. My prized possession car, I might add. And if he threatened Demi & then she went against what he wanted her to do, you better keep an eye on her, even if you aren't together."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not scared, Dad. I can handle him."

"Listen to me. If he does anything to you, you come tell me & I will handle this piece of shit once & for all. I mean it. I will not let him hurt you or your brother. I love you." Dad said, his voice cracking as he grabbed me, suddenly & held me against him as he hugged me, tight. I felt safe & satisfied that I had my dad on my side again.

"I will, Dad

"I will, Dad." I said as he let go of me. "Listen, I gotta go get my belts & money then grab my stuff. Demi's waiting for me. I gave that car back so she's giving me a ride home."

"Okay. I'll talk to you later." He pat my arm as he walked away & I headed to where I needed to go. I got my belts, my check then headed to the locker room to get my bag. I needed to hurry up, since Demi was waiting for me.

As I was heading toward the arena exit, from the locker room, after I got my bag, my belts, & my check, I saw Wilmer walking toward me. He looked like he was on his way to his locker room after getting his paycheck. 

"Nick. Great fight, man." He said as we got closer to each other. I shook his hand since he extended it as I nodded, in agreement.

"Yea, it was a great fight."

"You kicked my ass." Wilmer chuckled.

"Well, you got some licks in, too." I smirked reaching up to touch my face. "You put up one hellava fight, let me tell ya. That was not an easy win."