41. Interruptions.

✨ CHAPTER FORTY ONE ✨

In the soft morning light, Mrunmayee stirred from her sleep, her eyelids heavy with drowsiness as she nudged Shubman, urging him to answer the persistent doorbell.

With a sleepy groan, Shubman reluctantly peeled himself from the warmth of the bed, his muscles protesting against the sudden movement.

"Go and see who it is," Mrunmayee mumbled sleepily, her voice muffled by the plush pillows. "But don't forget to put on some clothes. I'll need time to get dressed."

Shubman nodded in agreement, his mind still clouded with the remnants of sleep, as he reached for his sweatpants, slipping them on with lazy movements.

"If it's the milkman, tell him to bring half a liter of milk," Mrunmayee called after him, her voice trailing off as she snuggled deeper into the covers.

With a yawn, Shubman shuffled towards the front door, his bare torso illuminated by the soft glow of dawn filtering through the windows. As he swung open the door, he was met with a startled yelp, followed by a familiar voice exclaiming in disbelief.

"Shubman?" Rohit's eyes widened in surprise as he took in the sight of Shubman standing before him, half-dressed and bleary-eyed.

Shubman's drowsiness evaporated in an instant as he recognized his fellow cricketer, his face breaking into a wide grin. "Rohit bhai!" he exclaimed, his sleep-addled brain finally registering the unexpected visitor. "What brings you here so early?"

Rohit shook his head, still trying to process the surreal sight before him. "I was just passing by and thought I'd drop by to say hello," he replied, his eyes lingering on Shubman's disheveled appearance. "But I wasn't expecting to find you... in this state."

Shubman turned to lead Rohit into the kitchen, a hand on his shoulder halted his movements.

Confused, he turned back to face Rohit, only to find his friend's gaze fixed intently on his back.

Rohit's brow furrowed as he examined the scratches and love bites scattered across Shubman's skin, his expression shifting from curiosity to concern.

"What's all this?" Rohit's voice was low, betraying his apprehension as he gestured towards the marks on Shubman's back. "Did you and... her... tum dono ne woh kiya kya?"

Shubman's heart sank as he realized the gravity of the situation. He exchanged a nervous glance with Mrunmayee, silently pleading for her to intervene, but she remained frozen in place, her eyes wide with apprehension.

"Kya Woh?" Shubman feigned innocence, his voice cracking slightly under Rohit's penetrating gaze.

"Sax sux, Shubman," Rohit's tone was firm, leaving no room for evasion. "Did you break the rule?"

Shubman swallowed hard, his mind racing to find a plausible explanation. He knew that Rohit had strictly prohibited any sexual involvement between him and Mrunmayee, considering her like a sister. Now, faced with the evidence of their transgression, Shubman could feel the weight of Rohit's disappointment bearing down on him.

"Rohit bhai, it's not what you think," Shubman began, his voice tinged with desperation. "We... we didn't mean for things to escalate like this."

But Rohit's expression remained unreadable, his silence more damning than any accusation. Shubman knew that he had let down not only his friend but also Mrunmayee, whose trust he had betrayed in a moment of weakness.

With a heavy sigh, Rohit shook his head, his disappointment palpable in the air between them. "I thought I could trust you, Shubman," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "But it seems I was wrong."