Chapter 58-Trail Mix

Athena and Michael were sitting in her house—both were immersed in books as they sat in silence

Athena and Michael were sitting in her house—both were immersed in books as they sat in silence. They suddenly heard a crash and they looked at each other in alarm.

"What was that?" Michael asked with wide eyes.

"Stay here, lock the door," Athena said, "I'll go check it."

"What?! I think it's supposed to be the other way around," Michael said, his eyes still wide as he grabbed onto her.

Athena looked at him, a small smile playing on her lips, "No, you stay here, lock the door, and I'll go check it."

Without another word, Athena got up to check the noise. Michael, after some thought, decided to follow her despite her warning to stay put. He followed her from a distance, noticing her go into a closet and emerge a minute later, making her way down the stairs.

As he followed behind her, from a distance, he saw her flick the lights on and round the corner with a gun in her hands as she pointed it toward the kitchen, "Kayden! What the hell?!" she exclaimed, "Michael, it's just my brother!"

Michael sighed in relief, quickly running over to join them in the kitchen, where he saw Kayden innocently standing by the fridge with the door open, clearly not a danger.

"I didn't mean to scare you guys," Kayden said, finally closing the fridge door after pulling out an apple, "I was just looking for something to eat. And why do you have a gun, sis?"

"I'm a woman and I live alone," Athena gave him a pointed look, "And you want to ask why I have a gun?"

Kayden rolled his eyes, "Yes, Athena, but guns are very dangerous. Can't you just get a dog or something?"

"I already have a dog," Athena rolled her eyes back, seeing her Black Lab round the corner, "Hey, Buddy! Tell Kayden to shut up."

Buddy barked once, his tail wagging happily as he stood by Athena's side.

"Seriously, Athena, you're scaring everyone in the house," Kayden said, his tone teasing.

"Hey, you live with your wife and I live alone again," Athena shrugged, "I got it after you moved out because once again, I am a woman living by myself!"

"I didn't know you had a gun, baby," Michael added, "I'm not sure how I feel about this."

"Aren't I supposed to be your protector?" Kayden asked, "I thought that was my job. And Michael's too, actually. Considering he's your fiancé."

"You did a fine job of that when you moved out," Athena retorted, folding her arms, "Hence the gun. I don't use it, honestly."

"I don't know how to use a gun, but I know they're dangerous," Kayden said, "And I'm sure Michael would agree."

"Well, I definitely don't like the idea of a gun being around," Michael nodded in agreement, "Keeping everyone in the house safe is important, but there must be a better way to do it, Athena. Maybe a more non-lethal option?"