Chapter 101-Musical Chairs

February 7th, 1995

February 7th, 1995

The Jacksons, The Tylers, and The Maddens were all out for dinner.

The Jacksons—Katherine and Joseph, matriarch and patriarch of the family. Rebbie, LaToya, Janet, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael, and Randy—the kids of the family.

The Tylers—Steven, the father. Kayden, Athena who is married to Michael, and Claire—Kayden's wife.

The Maddens—Nicole, Athena's mother, and Riley, Reagan, Renae, Reggie, and Rachel, who are Athena's half-sisters. Along with their husbands, Greg was married to Riley, John was married to Reagan, Craig was married to Renae, Adam was married to Reggie, and Robert was married to Rachel.

The restaurant was bustling with chatter and clinking of glasses as the extended family settled into their seats. Athena caught Michael's eye across the table and smiled, feeling a surge of happiness at being surrounded by her loved ones.

Meanwhile, on the end of the table, Rachel faked smiles and hid her left hand, continuously looking at her husband in guilt—after seeing everyone laughing and mingling, she decided to disappear under the table for some time to think.

Riley raised an eyebrow in surprise as she watched her sister disappear under the white tablecloth.

She excused herself quietly and followed Rachel as she slipped under the table. The dimly lit space under the table felt isolated and strange, but Riley's concern for her sister pushed away any discomfort, "Rach, what's going on?" she whispered, crouching down to meet her eyes.

Tears glistened in Rachel's eyes as she finally let out a shaky breath, "I....I can't tell you. It's too embarrassing."

Riley sighed and kicked her leg out to the side, kicking one of the girls, "Get down here!"

Renae shot Riley a confused look but slid under the table, joining them in the secluded space, "What's happening here?" she asked in a hushed tone, her eyes scanning Rachel's distressed expression.

"Oh, nothing," Rachel said, wiping her face in haste as she hoped they wouldn't notice her tears, "Just needed a breather."

Riley and Renae exchanged a look before Riley kicked another girl, "Get down here!"

Reagan raised an eyebrow at the summon and slipped under the table, her curiosity piqued by the strange gathering beneath the linen. Her eyes widened in surprise as she took in the sight of Rachel's tear-streaked face. "What's going on here?" she whispered, her concern evident in her voice.

When all they were met with was silence, Riley sighed, "Okay, kick another person! Or start grabbing feet!"

Reggie felt a tap on her foot and glanced around in confusion before realizing she was being summoned. With a quizzical expression, she knelt down and joined the group under the table. The dim light cast shadows on their worried faces as they all turned towards Rachel, waiting for an explanation.