Chapter 69-Parental Reflection

After the wedding events ended and everybody dispersed, Nicole and Steven went back to Nicole's house

They sat in silence for a while, trying to absorb the fact that the only daughter they have together is now married.

"She looked so beautiful today," Nicole whispered, her voice barely above a breath.

Steven nodded, his throat tight with unspoken emotions, "She was radiant. And happy."

A tear escaped Nicole's eye, tracing a shimmering path down her cheek. "Our baby girl... all grown up."

"Nicole, I'm telling you, This has got to stop," Steven said firmly, "I don't want to put a damper on today, but I'm serious. This has got to stop. It doesn't do any of us any good. Not the kids, not you, not me."

"What are you talking about?" Nicole asked.

"Athena," Steven said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, "It's time for you to start acting like a mother, not her manager."

"I've been trying for years, Steven!" Nicole protested, "She claims she's forgiven me and she's forgotten about it, but I see the way she looks at me! She's uncomfortable whenever I'm around or if I try to touch her. It's been like that for....as long as I can remember. She hates me."

"Because you keep acting like her freaking manager! How do you not see the problem here? It's become a legitimate problem!" Steven exclaimed, "All you ever bring up when she willingly comes around you is how you'd love to see her on stage with her sisters again! Or literally anything else that has to do with her or her career! You're always telling her she should rejoin the band!" he added, "Sometimes I feel like you don't consider her your daughter, you consider her a superstar that can make you more rich!"

Nicole recoiled as if she had been slapped. Her eyes widened in shock, hurt flashing across her face. "How dare you say that to me?" she whispered, her voice trembling with emotion. "How can you accuse me of not loving my own daughter?"

Steven's own anger flared, his words sharp with frustration. "Because you don't see her, Nicole! You only see the performer, you see Athena Tyler, the potential for her to be back on stage! How do you think she feels about that?"

"She wouldn't be as famous as she is now if it weren't for me!" Nicole argued, "She's a grown woman. She should understand I only want the best for her."

Steven gave her an incredulous stare, clearly fuming by this point, "Nicole! Any opportunity you have been given to prove to her that you love her for being your daughter, you haven't taken because you're too busy thinking about how she can make you more money!"

Nicole shook her head in disbelief. "I can't believe you're saying this to me," she murmured, hurt and anger warring in her eyes.

"Well, maybe it's time someone did!" Steven retorted, his voice rising. "You need to wake up, smell the coffee, and realize that Athena is not an ATM for you to withdraw from whenever you please! She's our daughter, Nicole. Our daughter." he added in frustration, "You are missing the entire point here. Athena is married to the love of her life. She hasn't been this happy since before her career started at four years old!" he yelled, "Don't you think it's time for you to start acting like a mother to your daughter?!"