Chapter 26

Flashback...
Y/n's POV

"Y/n?" Kenjaku's voice sounding soft and familiar.

"Yes?"

"I have a question for you, but it's completely up to you to answer." He started, making me giggle.

"What is it?"

"How do you feel about.. kids?" He asked, saying the last word hesitantly.

"I'm going to need more than that."

Kenjaku chuckled and took my hands in his, slowly intertwining his fingers with mine. "I mean, do you see yourself having or wanting kids in the future."

His words made me smile. "I've never thought about it."

"That sounds like it's a 'no' if the thought never crossed your mind."

"Well, if you say so." I replied with a soft smile on my face.

Currently, we were sitting in the living room of his apartment. The TV was playing in the background, a movie that ended up turning into white noise for us. I was sitting on the floor, my book sitting in my lap while my back leaned against the couch sitting between Kenjaku's legs as he leaned forward. His head rested on the top of my head, still gently caressing the palms of my hands with his fingertips.

"Why do you ask?"

He shrugged slightly. I could tell he was smiling as he answered. "It's just something I've been thinking about."

"You?"

Kenjaku nodded and tugged on my shirt slightly, indicating that he wanted me to stand up. I put my book aside and stood up, but before I could stand completely, he pulled me to sit on his lap and held me close. "Would you like to know exactly what I've been thinking?"

I giggled and rested my head against his chest. "Of course."

"My whole life, I've never dreamed of having kids or wanting any. The thought of it only irritated me and knew every day that I'd be attached to only one person because of a child was not something I was a fan of. Let's just say that I've always thought that in the end, I'd always be alone..."

I stayed silent, listening to him and his heartbeat at the same time. I wondered where he was going with this conversation.

"When we first got together, I never actually had those kinds of thoughts or feelings again. Somehow, just one day, you did something that had my mind wander about the topic." He said, stroking my hair.

My mind wandered, too. Though it was more of rather questioning myself if that was what I wanted or not. But if I was unsure, then that means I don't want any, right?

"What did I do to make you think about the subject?" I started twirling strains of his hair around my finger until I felt his hand under my chin, gently tilting my head up so I'd look directly at him.

His eyes were low, and he had a warm smile on his face. "I don't want to tell you. You might just not do it again."

"I want to know, though..." I playfully pouted and whined. Another chuckle had left his lips as he held me closer against him. The warmth of his body brought me comfort just as it always had.