Chapter One

واصبروا إن الله مع الصابرين 

"...and be patient. Indeed, Allah is with the patient."

[Al-Anfal 8:46].

__________________________________________________________________

I rolled my eyes as I skipped through Snapchat stories and tried to ignore the fact that I still had a lot of packing to do. My subconscious made me turn my eyes towards the half packed suitcase,  opened closet, accessories and shoes all over the floor and I groaned locking my phone and got off the bed. Half an hour later, I was almost fully packed, sat on the floor sorting out my makeup and my room finally looked less like a catastrophe. I heard footsteps coming closer to my room.  A moment later my door was opened gently and my mother leaned against the frame of the door,  hands on her hips. Her long brown hair cascaded down her back in curls and enhanced her brown eyes. She had that type of smile that made everything okay.

"Yes mum?"

I asked with a smirk. I know that she was expecting me to not have finished packing.

"Nothing sweetie, I just wanted to make sure you were okay . Do you have your outfit ready for tomorrow? I don't want you running around complaining about your scarf not being ironed or that it doesn't match your outfit"

My mums American twang was still evident in her voice even after living in England for nineteen years. She had that knowing smile on her face as she waited for my answer and I rolled my eyes at her as I zipped up the makeup bag and put it gently on the side of the suitcase.

"Yes mum I do, everything is hung up in the wardrobe and my hijab is ironed"

I turned towards the bed and picked up my phone to plug it into the charger. 

"Okay hun. I was just on the phone to Alex and she's extremely excited to have you over. She also began searching for Halal restaurants around the area for you. Isn't that awfully sweet of her?"

Putting into consideration that the rest of my mother's family expect aunt Alex had disowned us once they found out that I had reverted to islam, that was quite cute. That is the reason we hadn't been back to the U.S in the past two years.  Mom helped me zip the suitcase close and carried it to the door while I took my socks off and went into bed.

''Yes mum it is. I'm super excited to see her and to be back"

My stomach erupted in butterflies thinking about last time I was there and how I had swore to never go back. 

"Well then, get to sleep" 

She took the clothes off the foot of my bed and put them on the chair next to the door. She sat at the edge of my bed as I tucked myself in.

''Mum I'm seventeen, I can tuck myself in''

I said with a chuckle as she tried to help. She gave me a sad smile and kissed my forehead as if she'd never see me again.

''I know, but you will always be my baby"

I smiled and closed my eyes.

''Goodnight'' 

She whispered and turned the light off. I fell asleep saying the adkar and thanking Allah for giving me such a loving and supportive family.

__________________

''Honey,  wake up. You have to get ready for your fight. We need to be at the airport in the next two hours"

A far away voice broke through the clouds of sleep I was floating in.