Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

"And we created you in pairs" Surat An-Naba 78:8

_______________

"Hello dad, how are you? Have you eaten?"

I walked out of the law firm I've worked at since moving to England a year ago to be with dad after Mark passed away. I couldn't leave him to be alone and besides I had graduated so I didn't really have any excuse to be on my own anymore.

"Yes, I had a quick lunch earlier on"

"DAD, LUNCH WAS 5 HOURS AGO, WHY HAVENT YOU EATEN SINCE THEN?" he always forgets to eat and it's such a pain having to constantly remind him. I heard him laugh on the other side of the phone which frustrated me effortlessly but I took a few deep breaths as I spotted my silver Audi RS6.

"Because I got reservations for us at De Laureant's for 6 o'clock today and I wanted to be able to eat with you instead of alone"

My heart melted. Not only does he want to eat with me, but he made reservations at my favourite place.

After losing both my mother and brother I clung onto father and spent every possible moment with him because I never knew when I would lose him too. I am proud of how I deal with their deaths now. Instead of seeing it as something to cry over, I smile because I think of all the times my mum tickled me to get her way when I was a little girl. And instead of feeling a pain in my chest for missing Mark, I think of how he complimented my hijab and I wear it with even more pride and confidence now.

Besides, in the day of judgment, when the people who weren't tested in this dunya see the reward the people who were tested get, they will cry to get another chance at life just so they can be tested too. I know that Allah loves me and just wanted me to come back to him.

"Right dad, I'll meet you there at that time then. At least have a small snack so you won't faint"

I heard him chuckle again before telling me he loved me and hung up.

I smiled and shook my head as I turned the ignition on. Maher Zain's voice turned on immediately half way through "Ma sha Allah" on my stereo system. It was one hell of a good stereo system. I sang along as I drove home very excited for dinner.

After praying Asr, I grabbed one of my beige fancy open abayas, put on a white skirt and top underneath and wrapped a crème hijab over my hair. Putting on my nude heels, I lathered on some chapstick and mascara on my already full set of lashes and made my way towards the door. I grabbed my VOSS water bottle and black Gentle Monster Moon Cut sunglasses and looked through my handbag to make sure my phone was in it. I locked the door and made my way to my car.

As I was nearing the restaurant, I couldn't help but thank Allah for the blessings he's put in my life. I smiled at the thoughts of him listening to me and watching down at me, it really is the most reassuring feeling in the world.

I got out of the car as I reached the restaurant entrance and gave the valet my keys, he gave me a ticket and another one opened the doors of the restaurant.

"Your father is waiting for you this way"

The waitress knew who I was as I was a regular customer. We walked towards my father, going around the elegant restaurant decorated in a chandelier and golden spiral stairs which bring you to the second floor. Glass walls showed off the beautifully groomed rose gardens and angel fountains which looked heavenly against the sunset.

The minute dad saw me a smile outstretched across his face and he got up to hug me.

"You look wonderful, darling"