Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Grief does not change you.It releases you.
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

He smirked at me as I threw a chip at him.
"Well it's true!" He exclaimed putting his hands up as a sign of surrender. The rest of the gang laughed as I childishly stuck my tongue out at him. "What did I say about the tongue babe? Don't stick it out unless you intend to use it." This gained him another eruption of laughter and a smack on the back of the head from me.
The gang and I are currently sitting in KFC chomping on some chips as we caught up.
The minute father, Mark and I were dropped off at the hotel I came here.
When I used to live here, we had a Saturday tradition where we would come to KFC to have some chips and ice cream every week. And I showed up here and acted as if I did it every weekend. Seeing my best friends all sitting on the exact same table we used to always sit at. They all had the exact same orders as every week. Brad and Tyler were having a thumb war with everyone else cheering them on. Exactly how I left them two years ago. I smiled as I walked over to them, there jaws hit the floor. Then I was attached to the floor by there bodies.
"Get your discusting non‐mihram bodies off me!!!" I yelled at them trying to act serious.
"So why the surprise visit?" Tyler asked curious. I exhaled loudly and they immediately understood. They were used to these so called business parties and dinners. They used to sneak into the parties before‐apparently its to make sure I had a good time‐but I'm sure it had something to do with the food.Once Brad even forced his parents to have dinner in the same restaurant as the one my families business dinner was at. He sat across me and I didn't stop laughing through that whole dinner.
"So what is it now? Fireworks? Bangers or shall we just go all out with the grenades?" Brad asked trying not to laugh as he tried to act serious. His hands were across the table folded into each other trying to pull off an intimidating posture.
" do whatever your heart desires" I whispered and we burst out laughing.
I heard a sharp intake of breath and twirled around to see where it was coming from. A women in her early forties looked back at me. Her hair was held up in a tight bun and she was wearing a white blouse with black trousers. She looked prestige and strict.
"Look! Look at what your doing! Your corrupting the minds of our society with your terrorist acts! Can't you just go back to your country and leave us alone! Stop terrorizing us" her words cut through me like a knife. I gulped and wiped my sweaty palms on the fabric of my skirt. I smiled as I felt The pressure lift off the table notifying me that my friends have stood up. I looked up at them and told them through my eyes that I can handle it. Nikki looked on the verge of exploding and Brad and Tyler had pretty similar expressions.
I turned back at the women and smiled at her. Her eyes were glossy and I hoped she wouldn't cry.
" These people are my friends. Brad was only messing. You just heard wrong and it was a misunderstanding. I haven't terrorized anyone. Or killed anyone for that matter. In the Quran it says
" if you kill one human being it's as If you killed all of humanity"
Which obviously means that killing is forbidden in my religion. There is nothing that would lead me into disobeying my religion. It's unfortunate you think so low of me but I'm sorry to say its irrational." I tried to explain to her.
" I don't want you preaching your damn religion to me! I don't need it! Just get out of here and leave us and our families alone" she spat venomously. I nodded at her
" I'm not preaching my religion, miss, I'm merely educating. But the prophet(P.B.U.H) said to ignore the ignorant and I'm just going to do that. Have a good day" I ended the conversation there and turned back to my friends. Brads eyes were narrowed and his hands were in a fist. I heard his fuming breath and started packing my things as I heard the women's fiery breathing and her heels briskly walking out the door.
I let out a long breath with my eyes closed. I smiled up at my friends as I got up. They all stood up instantly.
"Where are you going?" Emily's sweet voice asked.
" I have to be home, dad drilled the fact that I will be killed if I don't be home early for this big dinner thing" I tried to laugh it off. But there sympathetic eyes told me they knew I was lying. I avoided looking them in the eye as I waved them off and speed walked outside. I was stopped by the sight I seen in front of me.
The women with the tight bun and prestige aura leaking off her had her back facing me. She was giving out to a teenage boy. His hair was covering his eyes as his head hung low in shame. "Why are you late? Again! This has to stop! I got humiliated in there. Waiting for you like an idiot. I'm so disappointed in you. Your grounded that's it! I've had enough of your attitude lately" she was taking out her anger on this poor guy. His head looked up as if he sensed my unwanted presence. We made eye contact for a mere second and my face paled as I walked away.
"You look so beautiful" she whispered. I turned to look at the full body mirror. The silk white long sleeved dress was caressing my body. The silk came down and hugged my curves then flowed down half way down my thighs. My nude heels giving me the advantage of not tripping over the long dress. The colour complimenting my complexion. My makeup was applied being focused on the eyes. The makeup artist emphasized on the black colour on my eyes, contrasting the colour of the dress with the eyeshadow. The black and matte grey colours blended in an appealing fluency. The mascara and eyeliner finishing the eye makeup.With added concealer to my already clear skin, my face glowed. Nude lips stayed out of the attention as she professionally contoured my cheeks making my sharp features even more striking. My hijab completed the outfit. It was wrapped around in an almost careless manner, yet giving a sophisticated look. The covering allowing the makeup to steal the attention. A fur coat that goes halfway down my torso added the elegance to the look. I looked so much like my mum in my reflection in the mirror it sent shivers down my spine. I smiled proud of that. She is the most beautiful women I have ever known. Everything about her is perfect. I just wish she was here to see how I look now. I gulped away the ball that etched in my throat and managed to smile again. Seeing my mothers beautiful face smiling back at me I turned to look at Elaine the stylist. She smiled in an almost sad way and handed me the white,diamond studded clutch with my necessities in it. I took it off her my pale pink nail polish an obvious contrast against the clutch.
My dads smile reached his glossy eyes. He looked up at the ceiling, his bottom lip in his mouth as he tried to hold back his tears. He looked back at me his eyes sparking with pride.
"You look so much like her" his voice broke in the last word. I slowly nodded as I carefully walked towards him and was embraced by his arms. On cue Mark walked in and froze looking at us. His eyes lingered on my face before I noticed his glossy eyes. He blinked repeatedly and avoided our eyes. I held out my hand to him and he looked at it reluctantly before joining our hug. You know those hugs that stay for ages? The ones where you don't say anything? And your just hugging so hard as if your never going to see each other ever again? The one you never want to end? This is that hug.
"She would be so proud of you guys right now" dad whispered as a tear slid down his cheek.
"Let's go" dads authoritative yet friendly voice said. That little episode we had at home completely changed the dynamic of our families relationship. It's as if mom is with us now and that surely gave us a confidence boost.
I picked up my delicate white material exposing my heels as I stepped out of the black sedan. My dad had his hand out for me.I took it, I needed the support, my dress is long! And besides I felt special,like it was me and my old daddy again. Mark came out behind me in his handsome navy suit. His skin a striking contrast to the suit. His hair sponsored him with that mysteries look. I heard the sedan smoothly pull away from the sidewalk.I put one hand around Marks arm and the other hand holding up my dress. The silk feeling smoothagainst myfingers.
My father walked beside us, an aura of power and authority leaking off of him. In front of us the valet who was dressed in a respectable work uniform smiled at us and opened the door. People's conversations hung in the air sounding like the constant buzzing of bees.
The luxurious restaurant shone through the doors. Rich,fancy,important;these are the words that come to mind as you walk in.
"Good evening" the cute valet greeted us.
"Good evening"
Mark and father replied professionally. "You must be the Walsh's" My father nodded.
"Follow me this way please" his eyes lingered at me a few seconds longer as he gestured with his hands towards the tables. Mark noticed and rose his eyebrows with amusement. The valet walked us past the beautiful décor of the restaurant. It was as if your walking through a Victorian banquet hall. My heels announced our arrival as it walked across the marble floor.The interior was made up of glass and marble. The tables made of mahogany. A massive chandelier in the middle of the restaurant was grasping the attention. It was so breathtaking with its multiple candles making the illusion of melting. It spluttered out diamonds and pearls. It was the most beautiful thing in this whole grand place.
"Here is your table" the cute valet announced. I gotta stop calling him that!!
"Thank you!" Father politely said as he walked towards the table that was facing the glass window. The window giving us a clear view of the restaurant garden. Again it's beauty even more magnified by the big fountain in the middle of the rose bushes. But I'm sure you guys don't even care about that. "Miss" his deep voice was laced with a suggestion of god knows what. He pulled my chair out. I smiled at him noticing his eyes examining my face.
I lowered my gaze and sat down on the cushioned chair.
"Thank you" I squeaked. Well wasn't that attractive?
Trying to maintain the last piece of humility I had, I looked out the window.
"The Janson's will be here soon" the cute valet walked away.
"Well that was awkward!" I laughed as Mark and dad looked at me with raised eyebrows. I burst out laughing inelegantly showing off my dimples. They smiled at me and Mark threw the closest napkin to him at me. I stuck out my tongue at him and he flipped me off.
"DAD MARK SAID THE F‐WORD TO ME!!!" I whined to dad. Marks eyes widened and instantly shook his head repeatedly.
"No I didn't, she's lying!! Dad I swear" My dad looked at our exaggerated childish acts incredulously
"what have we done to deserve this, Amanda?"
That got us to laugh again, quite unattractively I must mention. My sides were cramping and Mark made me laugh even harder knowing how much it must hurt.
We heard a clearing of a throat behind us. Our heads turned towards the voice and I suddenly sobered up.
" Ah Edward Janson,Emily Janson, how delightful to see you." My father stood up and walked towards them. They made there way towards there seats and my dad introduced us and we sat down but I was oblivious to everything around me. My eyes were just glued to the boy who walked in with them. And the one sitting behind them.
This was going to be a hell of a dinner.

///////////////////////////////
Authors note:
Omg you don't know how sorry I am!! I've go to stop starting my intros like this!!
Hahah but Walahi I am so flipping sorry. I have exams every day of the week. Plus homework. Plus life. Ugh. Anyways I hope you like this story. I also hope you guys haven't lost interest in it. Walahi I try I really do its just time, you know?
The dress Alanna wore in the dinner is at the side. But obviously with a hijab and a full sleeve:p
Are you guys excited for the next chapter?!?!?
Thanks so much for you guys who were here from the beginning and haven't stopped supporting me. A big shout out to my new followers you guys are incredible as well.
I'm sorry this isint edited. Like I explained before, my laptop is broken therefore I write up all the chapters on my phone and you know how that is!! But anyways I'm going to stop there, I hope you guys are all doing amazing and your family's are ok! Yeah enjoy the next few chapters!! Don't forget to give me some feedback :3
Thanks so much
~Safa