Chapter Three

The Qur'an is neither a book of science nor a book of predictions. It is a book of Guidance to mankind.

--------------

"We're here "

Announced the obnoxious guy sitting beside me as he cleanly parked the car at the side of the massive glass apartment. We had an awfully awkward car ride as he refused to even look at me for the whole journey. The engine died down as he took out the keys and opened the door not acknowledging me in the process. I sighed and walked out to grab my bags and hurried after him.

"Here, would it kill you to wait if you're not even going to help me with my bags."

I complained to him as a wind blew my hijab into my face. I heard him laugh which angered me even more. I dropped my bags and aggressively swiped my hijab off my face feeling humiliated. He kept laughing as he pointed at me as if he was a child and I had to stop to catch my breath as that was the first time I saw him smile that way. It was momentarily distracting but I glared at him remembering how much of a jerk he really is. I breathed in as I counted to ten while he continued to laugh. I remembered a Hadith the prophet Muhammad said which calmed me down; "How beautiful it is smile when someone expects you to yell"

I smiled at him and he looked taken back. I smiled even more understanding what the prophet Muhammad had meant. The people who expect you to be angry do these things to get a reaction out of you, so when you don't feed into that, you're the one who gets that satisfaction.

He cleared his throat and looked at the door of the glass apartment. It was beautiful and I couldn't help but marvel at how luxuriously everything was put together. He nervously scratched the back of his neck as he took off his sunglasses. He let out an angry breath of air and speed walked inside the door.

He swiped a card and the door automatically opened up. The inside of the apartment was made with glass. People's heels clicked on the ceramic floors and their chatters filled the air. I followed Mr Obnoxious into the elevator as people looked at me. I was conscious of the fact that I was the only hijabi in this building. I looked at the floor and walked as fast as I could into the elevator. The guy was in there tapping his foot impatiently on the floor clearly pretending not to know me. He quickly pressed the close door button when I walked in still not looking at me. The door slides shut with a ring and I turn to look at him

"If you don't tell me your name, I'm going to keep making up names for you depending on your attitude"

I informed him. He looked at me for a few moments.

"You won't need to know my name since you won't see me after today. I only did a favour for Alex and that's why I'm bringing you here. Otherwise - don't count on it"

He turned to the door and took out his phone and started hurriedly texting. I sighed giving up and looked at myself in the mirror. I fixed my hijab trying to get the front bit looking perfect.

"Is my hijab fixed?"

I asked Mr Rudeboy out of habit. He looked up from his phone and studied me for a moment.

"How should I know?"

He asked and went back to texting. I sighed not getting offended by his rudeness. The door finally rang open again and a few people walked in as we walked out. They did the compulsory double take when seeing me. I looked at the guy as he quickly walked away from me towards the end of the hall. It kind of hurt knowing that he didn't want to be seen with me just because I'm wearing a scarf on my head. I looked down as I walked straight to where he was, leaving a space in between us just like he wanted. He stopped at a door and knocked as he turned around to look at me. The door swung open to reveal a beautiful, young, women. Her sapphire eyes were shining as her auburn wavy hair framed her smiling face.

Babe"

She yelled as I flew into her arms and hugged her.

Alexandria is the youngest of my mum's family and she is my best friend. She thought me things she knew about boys and gave me tips on how to get them. We watched movies all night long as we made homemade facial masks. Danced and sang our guts off on days that were boring and we stayed out tanning in the sun together.

"You look stunning, So absolutely beautiful even more now with your head scarf. It's been two years; how could you change this drastically?"

She yelled. Her comment about my scarf warmed my heart. Although she knew I was Muslim and had accepted it, but I was still anxious of her reaction to me wearing the headscarf.

"Thanks Alex but omg talk about yourself, your makeup skills have flourished, fam"

She smirked at me. Mr Impatient cleared his throat as he watched us.

"Oh My God, Nate I forgot. Thank you so much for this. I owe you a big one!"

She smiled at him and gave him a hug. So that's his name, Nate. Really suits him and his rudeness to be honest.

" No problem Alex anything for you"

He winked at her and went towards the door across Alex's. He waved at her again before he walked in. She looked back at me before dragging me into her apartment.

-----------

"So how was your trip?"

Alex asked as we sat on the white leather sofa of the living room in her deluxe penthouse sharing a tub of Ben and Jerries.

Her glass walls made it possible to see all the skyscrapers that surrounded us. It was truly mesmerizing especially now that it was night it felt like we were part of the light that illuminated the city. Her apartment was shades of white, crème and beige. Any part of the walls that weren't glass were crisp white. The sofas were leather with a million plush beige pillows. Brown round carpets on top of the mahogany brown wood floors. She had a massive black HD tv highlighting the living room. And there was a glass table in between the two leather sofas in the middle of the living room. Bookshelves lined the walls and glass paint framing the glass. She was an artist so it was expected of her to have an as aesthetically pleasing apartment.

I was spread out on one of the sofas and so was she as we attacked our Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I was wearing a white tank top that rested just below my belly button and grey baggy sweatpants as my hair was down my back getting some air. Alex was in shorts and a black t-shirt. She happily showed me to my room when I arrived and complimented me repeatedly when I took my scarf off telling me how beautiful it was. She was so excited to have me live with her for a whole month and she kept reminding me off that. It's just like sleeping over with your best friend for a month. How exciting is that?

We chatted for the night and she reminded me of school tomorrow when I asked her what the package in my room was for.

-------

" "Love is the closest thing to magic" Apparently that's why people like love so much. That's bullshit. The closest thing to magic is a cookie dough Ben and Jerry's ice cream."

-------

I posted my latest blog post and slammed my laptop closed and got up to make my wudu. I thought of how cold the water would be, but then thought of the amount of good deeds I would get the colder the water is.

I prayed went to bed and thought of how I'm going to surprise my friend's tomorrow.

How will they react seeing me in a headscarf for the first time?

Will my new school accept me or will they force me to take my scarf off?

Only Allah knows.