Chapter Two

خُذِ الْعَفْوَ وَأْمُرْ بِالْعُرْفِ وَأَعْرِضْ عَنِ الْجَاهِلِينَ

"Hold to forgiveness, command what is right, and turn away from the ignorant." [Qur'an, 7:199]

_______________________________________________________

''Mom seriously, I'm going to be fine. Don't worry, its only for a month anyway. Allah is going to be with me the whole time as well. Just forget about me and Mark for this month and enjoy your time away."

My mum wouldn't stop crying as we tried to say goodbye at terminal two of the airport. I've never been away from her for so long. It was mom and dad's anniversary month so they were going on a getaway for the whole month. My flight was in terminal one and I had some time to spare before the gate was closing.

''I'm just going to miss you so much; I don't even want to go anymore''

She spluttered out through tears. Mark wiped her tears away as he hugged her.

''Mom she's going to be fine, I was fine when I left for uni right?''

he waited for her to nod before he continued

''Alanna sure as hell will be fine, you know her with her kick ass boxing skills, and besides its only for a month. You guys go enjoy yourselves.''

My mum nodded again as she looked back at me and hugged me. She took in a deep breath fanning her face with her hands as if that would help her take the pink colour off her nose and puffy eyes.

''I'm going to miss you''

She whispered in my ear

''I'm gonna miss you too mum''

I whispered back.

''Ok so now that's clear, me and Mark have something for you guys''

I spoke with a smile.

''It's Mark and I, dear"

Mom being the English professor she is corrected me. I stuck my tongue out at her

''whatever''

I looked at Mark and he nodded at me and smiled. I held out the gift bag in front of me.

''It's because we won't be there on the day of your anniversary so we got your gift for you in advance''

Mark told them as he held out the single white rose we got them. It's delicate featherlike petals wrapped around each other in a way that portrayed mom's beauty perfectly. She looked up at dad and he smiled down at her before nodding towards the bag. She took it off me and looked in blinking repeatedly.

''Mom you haven't even seen the presents yet, please don't start crying again".

I begged as she chuckled

''Okay, okay sorry''

She put her hand in and picked out the first wrapped up present as dad took the flower off Mark and put it in mum's hair. He kissed her forehead and watched her unwrap the first present.

It was a better half glass keepsake block. It was split into clear glass on the right and white on the left. It had a heart in the middle with Amanda and Andrew written through the hearts. Amanda in Clear and Andrew in white. It was beautiful and delicate and extremely special. Mom started tearing up as dad look at it and smiled. No words needed to be said as we knew how our parents felt. Mum looked up at us and smiled with her eyes overflowing with tears. It was a beautiful smile. She handed it to my dad and he traced his and moms name on it.