Chapter 27

Storm

When I left my apartment and went to our SUV, Tom stood in front of the cars with King and was talking excitedly. It seemed like Tom wanted to convince King to do everything according to his plan, but for me that wasn't an option. Leaving Josie there until the evening to use the night for an insidious plan... no way.

"Storm... now be reasonable," he said as I threw my bag into the car where Ink was already behind the wheel.
"She delivered David to you on a platter. Risking her own life so she could protect us. You weren't able to find them... are you telling me you're not able to now either?" I asked, to which Duke laughed.
"If you FBI farts are too cowardly, that's no problem. We'll do it on our own," said Duke as he walked past Tom.

"I never said we won't help... only in broad daylight? King!" he said loudly as we all got into the car.
"Do whatever you want. We're going to go get Josie now," King said as he looked at me and got into his car.
King's car stopped briefly when Evelyn and John flagged him down and he pointed to Nora's restaurant where we left all the ol' ladies upset. Evelyn looked at me as we drove past, her hand over her mouth, and I took a deep breath.
I know what these sick people did to women. Nora is living proof of how cruel some people are. And from what we heard about David from King, he was one of the masterminds behind a lot of the things that happened.
"She was holding her phone as she ran away from here," I remembered Erin saying.
"Void checked the phone and there were no outgoing calls or messages from her phone. Only 36 missed calls from David."

I let out another deep breath as I remembered her telling me what happened when she first met David and how he sent her that phone via her aunt. He was interested in her, I knew that from the way she described his behavior. And now thinking about her being with him made my blood race. She didn't hide anything from me, not even the fear when she talked about him and how glad she was that she didn't have to go through something like Nora or Ivy.
"Storm," I heard Ink say as his eyes were still on the road as he drove after King.
I turned my head to him, deeply plagued by thoughts that tormented me. "She'll be ok," he said, to which I just nodded my head.

My mother's words came into my mind as she told me about love. A woman who only loved one man her whole life, my father.
She said once I found the right one I should never let her go. Mother often told me about Norse mythology and one story was deeply branded in my mind. Baldur, the god of light, purity, and beauty, and his wife, Nanna, epitomize a story of eternal love and heartbreaking tragedy. Their love for each other is so profound that when Baldur is killed, Nanna dies of a broken heart. She chooses to join him in the afterlife, unable to live without her beloved.
If something were to happen to Josie just because she wanted to protect us... I took another deep breath and looked in the side mirror. I couldn't bear to beat the depression again. Once it was because of things I couldn't have, but now I have Josie. Disappointing her again would definitely kill me.
I couldn't continue living like this. I was ready to give everything for her, including my life if I have to. What should I do with that if I have to be without her. I just hope they didn't hurt her. Or worse. She's my ol' lady, my woman, she's my love and now part of my life.

I've never been as scared for someone in my life as I am right now. And if I have to fight for Josie then I will do it... not as Storm but as Lucas. The boy she met at the roof, a weak shit longing for death who turned out in me. A fucking Hurricane.
I packed my bag and took the camouflage makeup out of one of the side pockets and started painting my face in the mirror. I didn't draw subtle stitches but rather a wide stripe across both eyes, from ear to ear. Three finger stripes that went from my hairline to my chin and runes that I knew.
If this is the last fight of my life then I will fight it as a Viking. Because that's what I originally am. "You are not a weakling Lucas. You have ancestors who were really powerful. I would be proud to be a Viking... You are a Viking," I remembered Josie's words as we stood on the roof again and she talked to me. She wanted me to be proud, but I wasn't... It took me a while to understand her words.
We were both kids, but she seemed to know things I found out about myself later. My blue eyes stared into my reflection and I looked at Ink who was watching everything with raised eyebrows.