Six

"I think we're in the wrong place, mate.", Gaz looked round the side street where you'd stopped in front of a house, smiling wryly.

It wasn't the biggest house in the neighbourhood and was relatively young compared to the listed Victorian houses, for being built in the seventies.

The brown sandstone façade had been completely renovated, with a black steel entrance gate and a small cobbled path leading to a green-painted door.

A small light was still burning on the ground floor. Lina was probably lying on the couch watching TV as she often did when her work was done.

With a smile and a little pride in your eyes, you glanced over your shoulder at the house.

"That's mine.", you said, pointing to the door. "Impressive, innit?"

Mouth wide open, he looked up the façade to the first floor, where colourful curtains hung in the black windows at the back. In the evening one could see inside from the outside but during the day the windows were mirrored. A nice extra that you had spent a lot on renovating. All the glass windows and doors offered complete privacy as long as it was light outside.

"This... is yours?", Kyle pointed to the front door in disbelief.

There were still Easter decorations on the small platform in front of the entrance. It would soon be summer so you would have to pack everything up. But there was still time. You nodded.

"Hard to believe, I know.", you couldn't help but feel pride fill your chest.

"Mate, you said you work in a bakery."

"I do."

He laughed. There was no jealousy in his face or annoyance that you presented him with a house that anyone would have killed for. Especially in this area of London.

With a garden, because he spotted a little path winding around the house into the backyard. By London standards, this house was not just luxury but an unrealisable dream. And you had realised it. All by yourself.

Kyle just couldn't believe how far you had come in life. He was just as happy for you as he was when you came within a whisker of graduating. It was a small miracle, but he didn't begrudge you any of it.

"You didn't ask what the name was.", you licking your lips, a little nervous. "The bakery, I mean."

Still completely perplexed, he looked at you and gasped.

"This house... is yours.", he repeated, beaming. "Your mum must be so proud of you!"

You immediately felt the heat rush to your cheeks. It distracted you so much that you didn't notice the door opening.

"I... well, I worked a ton for it...", you wanted to sound modest, but it would have been better to thank him for not becoming an arse over the years.

He was still the same, supporting Kyle, the boy who had always praised you for the good despite your laziness and stupidity.

"With a bakery...", he breathed and shook his head. "Mate, I'm not jealous at all."

"You didn't ask the name.", you repeated quietly.

The smirk on your lips just wouldn't go away. It felt so natural, so exciting. As if everything was exactly the same. As if you had never been separated for ten years.

That was still Kyle and you were still you. Two young boys who thought they were ready for the world, even though they had nothing but their own names and each other.

Blinking, he looked at you, his eyebrows raised.

"You'll tell me in a minute.", he gave you a playful nudge on the shoulder. "Come on, since when have you been keeping secrets from me?"

Embarrassed, you rubbed the back of your neck.

"It's Elminster and Daughters.", you said.

He blinked again. Something moved in the brown of his eyes, you could see thoughts passing by. Then his eyes widened in shock, his lips parted but he couldn't say anything.

"Don't fuck with me!", he gasped, a smirk on his plump lips.

Grinning broadly, you shrugged.

"I swear!"

"Are you bloody serious? THE Elminster? The bakery that everyone queues up for?"

You felt almost overwhelmed as he listed all your achievements over the last few years.

"Yeah, kinda... it's just so surreal.", you admitted.

"Mate.", he grabbed your shoulder, couldn't believe it. "You catered the last Buckingham Palace tea party!"

Again you felt your head start to glow while you grinned like an idiot. Pride and embarrassment mingled on your face.

"That was... a different kinda thing. Bloody hell, I can't tell you what that felt like."

Behind you, the beam of light spread across the floor. The door opened wider. Footsteps plodded hastily over bare stone but you didn't realise any of this.

There was just Gaz and the excitement he felt.

"You're a bloody legend, (Y/N).", he whispered as if he was afraid his words might attract evil.

You laughed.

"Hard to believe, innit? That I'll get it right for once."

"Nonsense! I knew you'd get your act together, but bloody hell! That's... everything your parents had hoped for. That you would become..."

"An honourable citizen with a job.", you paused for a moment, thinking about destroying his perfect image of you by telling him about your other choices in life.

But you never got round to it. All of a sudden, the sound of feet hitting the floor was so loud that you froze.

"DAAAAAD!", shrieking wildly, a small figure suddenly threw itself at your arm and clung to the sleeve of your coat.

Surprised, Kyle backed away, only to look into the round face of a child. He stared at the boy for a moment, who gave him the most evil look a child could manage.

Smiling, you sighed.

"Another thing you probably didn't expect of me.", you lovingly took the boy in your arms. "That's Matthias."

Lost in thought, the little one wiggled his bare toes in the air while he examined Kyle like a hawk.

Another boy appeared behind you, almost identical to Matthias down to the smallest detail. However, he was a little older and taller.

"And this is Elliot.", gently you placed a hand on his head, whose hair was the same colour as yours. "My sons."