Fifteen

"Can't fucking' believe you...", Gaz muttered as he pulled out of the parking lot of the grocery store, shaking his head.

With eyes widened in surprise you held the receipt and checked every single item you had bought. Then, in utter disbelief, you threw a glance over your shoulder.

Piles of groceries and household items were stacked in the trunk of the car, so high that it looked like you moved an entire family of four across the country. Some things didn't even have place in the trunk so Kyle had thrown the rest into the backseat.

Everything smelled of fresh fruit and vegetables. You even had grabbed some flowers to make the house look nice for a few days.

And some seeds to plant in the garden once you had tidied everything up.

And again, you couldn't believe it and looked at the receipt once more.

"What did we even buy?", you asked, frowning at Kyle.

Lips pressed into a sour line he just shrugged.

"You did.", he said and took a turn on a crossroad. "You got money to burn or somethin'? We didn't need half of that."

Letting out a snort, you gifted him an annoyed look, mimicking his comment in a way that made him laugh out loud.

For a brief second his eyes left the road to move to you, only for him to immediately turn his gaze back as soon as your eyes met.

A hard swallow made his throat move. He sucked in a sharp breath and smiled nervously.

Confused, you frowned, but decided not to comment on it. However it did strike you as odd, that he acted strange since this morning.

Somehow it made you worry that he had started to grow uncomfortable in your presence. Then again, it made no sense for him to insist on you tagging along to go shopping if that were true.

With a deep sigh, you let your eyes fall shut, head bumped against the cold glass of the window. Your breath drew foggy clouds onto the surface.

Silence spread between the two of you. Gaz had his eyes fixated on the road while you listened to the soft vibration of the engine. It seemed into your skull, made your brain feel loose and light.

He turned the car, left the main road and headed down a smaller alley instead. Houses and cars lined up next to each other. This was the kind of neighbourhood in which the two of you had grown up.

Tight houses that had three stories and a very thin line of a backyard. Maybe a space for the car to park in front.

"Mind if we take a short detour?", he asked.

Lazily, you opened your eyes a crack to look around.

"You already did.", you said with a shrug. "Got any specific place you want to be?"

He smirked but it disappeared again quickly. The tip of his tongue peaked out to wet his lips. He swallowed, appearing to be nervous.

"Promise you won't get upset.", he said with his eyebrows raised.

A shiver crawled down your back. Frightened and a little concerned, you swallowed a curse and slowly looked at him.

"Kyle.", slowly, very slowly, you leaned towards him and made very clear that the possibility of murder was not off the table. "If I end up in jail, I'll make sure you'll regret it."

With a nervous chuckle he drove down the road, past some trees and a very particular looking house. Then past a small park that had a rundown playground in its center.

You recognised the place, leaned towards the window and took a closer look as far as that was possible before it passed.

"Is this your road?", you asked and glanced back at Kyle.

His hands wrapped around the steering wheel. For a brief second he let his eyes wander along the houses before he passed one that made your eyes widen.

It was Kyle's childhood home. The one in which his father still lived. Now with his new wife.

"We're visiting your dad?", you asked.

He unbuckled his seatbelt and was out the door before you managed to grab him by the collar. Cold sweat ran down your back, made your blood freeze and your heart leap.

Somehow you had a really bad feeling about this.

"Kyle?", you chased after him.

He was quick on his feet, turning his head into all directions before pulling the hood of his hoodie over his head before approaching the front door to throw a glance through the glass.

"If you want to look suspicious you're doing one hell of a job, Kyle.", with a passive aggressive smile you grabbed him by the arm. "What the hell are you doin'?!"

With a grim look on his face he shook your arm off and jumped down the few steps to get to the small wooden gate that led around the house, into the backyard. The wood was so old and unloved that paint from decades ago started to chip off.

"Hey!", you hissed after him while looking around to make sure none witnessed his unannounced visit. "What in the bloody hells are you doing?"

He was already halfway into the backyard as you finally managed to catch up with him.

"I swear to god, if you don't tell me what's going on I'll call your dad!", you threatened.

Gaz stopped in his tracks. As his eyes met yours he looked so serious and full of pent up anger that it made you pull your hand away.

"I can't promise you won't end up in jail.", he said honest.

"You're not here to visit your dad, are you?", you asked with your eyebrows drawn together in a sarcastic manner.

"No. He's not home.", he pointed up to the windows of the second story. "Curtains are closed. No light."

"You'd make a great thief.", sighing, you had to pinch the bridge of your nose. "Care to tell me your plan?"

One of his eyebrows lifted.

"You sure you wanna be my partner in crime?", he asked.

"Crime as in an actual offence or crime as in metaphorically?"

He shrugged.

"I'm not familiar with criminal law, exactly."

"Fucking hell, Kyle just tell me what you want here!"

"Mom's rose bush."